Students Go Western For Annual Rodeo Week

February 16, 1945

Rodeo week at the university begins Monday and will run through Saturday of next week according to Tex Powell, rodeo boss. Any student not attired in western clothes will be captured by one of the deputy sheriffs, appointed by Powell.

Only by the purchase of war bonds and stamps can a prisoner of one of the deputies be released. The jail that has been in Tucson for the last week will be on the campus some of the time, and will be under the rule of Durand Redmond.

This year a Rodeo queen will be selected at the beginning of the week and will reign over the campus and at the annual Rodeo dance on Saturday night. Candidates from the halls and sorority houses should be turned in to Tex Powell. Judges will probably by the sheriff and his deputies.

Sponsored by the social life committee, the Rodeo dance will be held in the Rec hall at the university from 8:30 to 12 according to Mary Alice McBride, social chairman. At the dance a couple will be chosen for their western appearance and dancing skill.

Those chosen as deputies are: Hal Goodman, Lambda Delta Sigma; Bob Fitzpatrick, Kappa Sigma; Doc Ryder, Sigma Nu; Ed Doerhoffer, Kappa Sigma; Bob Horner, Psi Upsilon; Lew Lardie, Sigma Nu; Van Taggart, Phi Delta Theta; Redding Overstreet, Phi Delta Theta; Herbert Brown, Pi Kappa Alpha; Durand Redmond, Phi Delta Theta; Paul Limber, Phi Gamma Delta; and Bob Corroon, Chi Psi.

Faculty members will not be molested by the deputies, but will be expected to go western along with the students as Rodeo week has been a tradition at the university for many years.