Simplicity, creativity keys to game day dress

Ryan+Revock+%2FThe+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0ATessa+Patterson+sports+a+Zona+Zoo+t-shirt+Thursday.+Game+wear+fashion+is+a+quintessential+part+of+football+season.+
    Ryan Revock
    Ryan Revock /The Daily Wildcat Tessa Patterson sports a Zona Zoo t-shirt Thursday. Game wear fashion is a quintessential part of football season.

Planning your outfit for game day doesn’t need to be as complicated as running a play from a single wing offensive formation.

Bedazzled crop tops, off-the-shoulder T-shirts and extra-large shirts masquerading as dresses will take over Arizona Stadium today as football season officially begins.

Going to a largely athletics-oriented university means you have plenty of options when deciding where you can spend your game day. For some, game day means tailgating at fraternities, while others pre-game with close friends at an apartment or house. Where you decide to tailgate will almost always determine what you wear.

If you plan to be out and about on game day, cutting up your shirt is pretty much a must. Feel free to get creative with beads, sequins or rhinestones for added femininity.

“I might end up cutting my shirt,” said Hannah Sullivan, a pre-nursing sophomore. “Embarrassing as it is, I might end up doing it.

“I’ll probably come back to my apartment, tailgate with my guy friends … They make fun of me for everything, but I’ll probably still end up cutting my shirt,” she said.

Your outfit can be a little more laid back if you’re going out with your guy friends — there’s no need for beads or bedazzling if you’re just going to be surrounded by beer and boys. But even if this is the case, many women at the university will still transform their UofA Bookstore shirts just for fun. Cutting up shirts can also be made into a social event to get everyone excited for the upcoming game.

“I’ll probably be tailgating with friends, hanging out, getting pumped up, and we’re all going to cut up shirts together beforehand,” said Natalie Sanchez, a journalism senior. “As far as what I’m going to wear, I usually make dresses because I love doing that.”

It’s easy to get inspiration for game day attire with thousands of fashionable women in attendance here at the UA.

Thanks to Pinterest and YouTube tutorials, ladies no longer need to buy dresses they can wear as-is. A T-shirt on the larger side can double as a dress, no cutting or sewing required. Dresses are basically a no-fail option for game day, as they’re versatile enough to wear whether tailgating at fraternities or spending the day on the UA Mall. A dress is also a great option for Family Weekend, when cut-up shirts might be less than appropriate.

A more casual outfit is the way to go if you’re spending this game day with your family. A red tank-top, khaki shorts and Sperry’s is another low-effort outfit you can try when you don’t feel like impressing anyone. (They are your family, after all.)
    Wherever you decide to be today, make sure you’re having fun.

Sports games are just as much a part of the college experience as gen ed classes, so whether you’re with your parents or friends, tailgating on the Mall or raising the roof at a fraternity, sport your red and blue with pride.

“This year I want to change it up,” Sanchez said, “maybe do a midriff top or something. … I think I want to have it where it’s fringed with beads at the end, so it’s not showing too much, but it still has that college appeal to it.”