Who are you celebrating this Valentine’s Day?

Wikipedia Commons

Whether you’re celebrating a significant other, a relative or an 18th-century British explorer (what?), Valentine’s Day has everyone thinking about the loving, or not so loving, relationships in their lives. Here’s who our Daily Wildcat columnists are celebrating this year on the day of love:

Anika Pasilis

My Valentine is my boyfriend. We met when I was 17 and still a senior in high school. I remember being completely captivated by him and wondering if he would like me back. Well, he did, because he kept asking my friend for my phone number. It’s been three years since then, and in those three years, we have been to three different countries together and continue to annoy each other, but I would not trade it for the world. Here’s to the best three years, and here’s to looking forward to infinity with him!

RELATED: ZonaZoo looking to break record for most Valentine cards delivered

Brianna Ali

It is 2019, who needs a date anymore to celebrate the holiday of love? Have a Galentine’s with your close girlfriends, celebrate with your pet, celebrate by yourself – there is nothing wrong with that. I will be celebrating myself this Valentine’s Day, and I can’t wait. I am my favorite person, so there’s nothing I enjoy more than being alone. This Valentine’s Day I’m not with anyone, so it relieves the pressure of having to give someone a gift, which is awesome, and it allows me to spend some quality time with myself. Maybe I’ll make myself a nice dinner and take a long bath with some aromatherapy candles and just relax. People often think you can’t celebrate Valentine’s Day alone, but that is far from the truth. I think the best person you can give love to is yourself. Who cares if you don’t have a date? You can go out and enjoy a meal by yourself. You could even enjoy Valentine’s Day with a group of friends. Don’t let the pressure of not being in a relationship stop you from having the best time ever. After all, you might realize that you enjoy showing yourself that much-deserved love.

Mikayla Balmaceda

For this year’s Valentine’s Day, and every Valentine’s Day, I will be celebrating my mom for her birthday. My mom is my absolute rock, my biggest supporter, my number one fan and my best friend. On her day, I like to make sure she knows how special she is. And I want to be able to show her how absolutely appreciative I am for every little thing she has done and does do for me. It is hard being away from home on her birthday, my sisters and I would normally make her breakfast and bring it to her in bed, and my dad would bring her flowers. And I love to see her so happy and feeling appreciated. It’s an amazing feeling seeing my mom so happy, because that’s all I want for her. But since being in college, I’ve had to settle for sending a midnight text and calling her later in the day after her birthday dinner.

RELATED: OPINION: Diamond rings aren’t everything

Matthew Aguilar

While others celebrate Valentine’s day, I celebrate the 107th anniversary of Arizona’s admission into the Union of the now 50 United States of America. Just kidding, I celebrate neither. I just sit around and mourn the death of Captain James Cook, a British explorer and cartographer who was responsible for the mapping of Oceania throughout the 18th century, of course, until his abrupt death Feb. 14, 1779 on the Hawaiian archipelago. The famous navigator was a mere 50 years old, but still managed to accomplish feats beyond what any of us reading this can possibly achieve: slaying our enemies over minor misunderstandings and painting the lands of the globe for the glory of the British Empire. Jokes aside, if you’re celebrating Valentine’s day, appreciate the holiday or do not care to think about it, know that there’s a writer at the Daily Wildcat that will always love you, regardless of your shortcomings. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter