Diva La Paz wows audience

Paris Hilton performs at the Diva La Paz drag show last night, presented free to UA students by some of Tucsons premier female impressionists. Divas sang and danced for the audience and held a question-and-answer session after the show.
    ‘Paris Hilton’ performs at the Diva La Paz drag show last night, presented free to UA students by some of Tucson’s premier female impressionists. Divas sang and danced for the audience and held a question-and-answer session after the show.

Aija Simone, wearing lipstick and donned in knee-high black boots and a tight-fitting business suit, strutted down the illuminated staircase at La Paz Residence Hall last night as part of the 11th annual Diva La Paz.

But Aija Simone is no female, and Diva La Paz is more than a drag show.

Diva La Paz is a yearly program that promotes acceptance of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people with performances from five female illusionists.

“”The people I came with (last year) had never seen anything like it before,”” said Carrie Moy, a psychology sophomore. “”I think they became more accepting.””

The annual program, which attracted a packed courtyard, has become a tradition that combines entertainment with education through lip-syncing and comedy routines, followed by a question-and-answer session discussing the lifestyles of the cross-dressing divas.

“”It’s made a name for itself at the U of A as a fun and safe program,”” said Laura Tripp, hall director of La Paz. “”I think people really look forward to it every year.””

Jake Richardson, a pre-business sophomore and resident assistant on the La Paz Diversity Committee, said the show is a good introduction into the LGBT community.

“”It’ll be a fun way for (the audience) to get engaged,”” Richardson said.

Before the show, Richardson said he expected approximately 350 spectators to attend this year’s performance.

Although the committee worked with elMundo to advertise the program, many students came to the event because they heard about it from their friends.

“”I try to bring a bunch of people from (the Residence Hall Association),”” said Julie Gunderson, a microbiology and science teaching senior.

“”My friends dragged me,”” said Luke Bruno, an undeclared pre-communication freshman. “”I don’t know what to expect.””

In the past, protestors have thrown water balloons or eggs over the surrounding wall of La Paz and into the courtyard of the

It’s made a name for itself at the U of A as a fun and safe program. I think people really look forward to it every year.

– Laura Tripp,
    La Paz hall director

performance because they did not agree with the views the divas present.

To prevent disruptions, La Paz’s Diversity Committee purchased T-shirts with logos designed by an RA and made all non-residents of La Paz wear bright pink wristbands.