Police Beat: March 8

Wall doesn’t mask weed smell

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was performing a security check at the Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage on March 1 at 12:27 p.m., when he saw three men trying to hide behind a wall on the top level.

When the officer stopped his patrol car, he could smell a strong amount of burnt marijuana in the air.

The three men immediately told the officer they had been smoking marijuana. They were identified as UA students, two with Arizona driver’s licenses and one with a California driver’s license.

When the officer asked for the men to turn over all the marijuana and paraphernalia they had on them, one of the men took a plastic baggie out of his pocket with marijuana and a metal smoking pipe inside. The pipe had burnt marijuana in it.

Another one of the men took a glass smoking pipe and a wooden smoking pipe, both with fresh marijuana packed inside them, out from his jacket pocket.

The third man removed a plastic bag from his pocket that had marijuana in it.

The officer asked the men where they had purchased the marijuana and one of the men said he got it from a UA student, but would not say his name. The other man told the officer he bought it from a man on East Drachman Street and Park Avenue. The third man said he was only smoking the marijuana and had not purchased any drugs.

All three men were diverted to the Dean of Students for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

The marijuana and pipes were placed into property as evidence. The total weight of the marijuana was 14.3 grams.

Pepper spray OK for French student

The Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall community director called UAPD on Wednesday at 1:31 p.m. to report a student using pepper spray in the dorm.

The director told the officer over the phone that on Feb. 25 at 10:30 p.m. the student was spraying pepper spray in the hallways of La Paz and had been spoken to by his resident assistant. UAPD was not called.

The director told the officer that they have had behavior issues with the student before and the student claims that because he is from France he does not have to follow the rules here.

The student has a local Tucson address and it is unknown if he is actually from another country.

There were two girls who had been affected by the pepper spray, but their names had not been recorded. There were no other victims in the incident.

Library only access to homosexual porn

A UAPD officer responded to the UA Main Library on Wednesday at 1:17 p.m. because there was a man watching pornography on the library computers.

When the officer arrived he spoke with a library employee that said he walked by a man on a computer on the third floor and could see he was watching porn. The man showed the officer which computer he had been sitting at and they found a blue jacket and CD player.

Another employee also told the officer that the same man has been warned several times in the past about watching pornography on the computers.

At 1:45 p.m., the officer observed the computer at a distance to see if the man would return. Twenty minutes later the officer decided to switch on the monitor and saw that the man was still logged in.

Looking through the Internet history on the computer, the officer could see that several pornography Web sites had been visited, and most of them involved male homosexual activity.

The man returned back to the desk while the officer was on the computer and the officer escorted the man out of the library to talk.

While talking to the man, another library staff member told the officer that they had stopped dealing with the man about the porn and decided to call the police because he had a tendency to get agitated and start yelling.

The man told the officer he was sorry for watching the porn. He said that he was bisexual and the only place he had access to homosexual porn was in the library. He said that his desire to watch men outweighed the previous warnings he had received.

The officer placed the man under arrest for trespassing and transported him to Pima County Jail. An exclusionary order was also given to the man and he was warned about trespassing on UA property again.

FedEx’d ‘green crack’ confiscated

A Cochise Residence Hall desk assistant called UAPD on Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. after receiving a FedEx package in the mail for a student that smelled like marijuana.

When the officer arrived, he could smell the same odor. The man to whom the package was addressed was called to the front desk.

The student told the officer that he did not know the name on the front of the package, but recognized the area it was coming from, Ranchos Palos Verde, Calif.

The officer was given permission to open the package and inside he found a light gray T-shirt rolled up and taped. When he unrolled the T-shirt he found two bundles of marijuana and a small red container holding marijuana buds.

One of the bundles weighed 13.8 grams and had “”green crack”” written on the outside. The other bundle weighed 14.1 grams and had “”GDP”” written on it. The small red container had 4.9 grams worth of marijuana buds inside, and on the outside was a medical marijuana prescription.

The officer called the return address phone number and spoke with the father of the man whose name was written on the package.

The father said that the two men were friends and when the student had been in the area the past weekend, he dropped the package off and asked that it be mailed to his dorm.

The student was then brought to the UAPD main station and read his rights. He stuck with his original story but said that he had a legal marijuana prescription for his back pain and his friend had offered to mail him the package, but he didn’t think he would actually do it.

The package with all of its contents was entered into UAPD property as evidence. The student was also finger-printed to see if his prints matched those that were on the red container.

A Code of Conduct referral was sent to the Dean of Students.