Police Beat: Jan. 12

Lightless bike ride illuminates warrant

A University of Arizona Police Department officer arrested a non UA-affiliated bicyclist on Park Avenue at 11:21 p.m. on Jan. 9 after noticing the bicyclist riding southbound without a headlight near University Boulevard.

The man verbally identified himself and provided a Social Security number.

The officer did a records check, which showed that the bicyclist had a warrant for his arrest from the Pima County Sheriff’s Department for issuing a bad check.

The officer placed him under arrest at 11:30 p.m. He was booked into the Pima County Jail.

The bicyclist was issued a verbal warning for not having a headlamp and his bike was released to his roommate.

Drunken driver skims tree

Three non UA-affiliated men were charged with alcohol-related violations after a UAPD officer pulled their car over for a suspected DUI at 2:46 a.m. on Jan. 8 at Sixth Street and Sixth Avenue.

The officer pulled their vehicle over after observing the car traveling 55 mph in a 30-mph zone.

The officer turned on his emergency lights, but the car did not begin to yield until the officer activated his siren.

The vehicle’s driver turned onto Sixth Avenue and struck a tree with his passenger mirror. The driver provided pay stubs and other unrelated documents to police during the traffic stop before handing over his proof of insurance.  

The driver agreed to field sobriety tests and was arrested under suspicion of driving under the influence while another officer arrived and interrogated the three passengers.

One passenger was carrying a handgun that the officer confiscated for the remainder of the investigation.

Two of the passengers were cited for minor in possession. The other passenger was of age and not cited.

The officer placed the handgun in a paper bag and asked that they leave it that way until he left the area.

At the station, the driver was found to have .135 and .142 blood alcohol content through breath tests. He was cited for driving under the influence and released.

Medical student comes to class with knife sewn in dress

A UAPD officer was called in to respond to a possible knife threat at the College of Medicine at 10:17 a.m. on Jan. 7.

The officer arrived to the third floor elevator where the female student was identified as the one who had the knife.

A witness said that the student did not have the knife with her and was unarmed.

The officer got confirmation from a college official that the woman was a medical student that was on antipsychotic medication but had stopped taking it.

The official said she seemed disoriented and had acted strangely for a few weeks.

One of the student’s classmates said that she was wearing a dress covered in strange things like passports and underwear.

Her professor noticed that the woman had a knife sewn on the back of the dress she was wearing but allowed the professor to remove the knife from her dress.

The professor then convinced the student to go to the hospital.

Another UAPD officer escorted the woman to the University Medical Center emergency room.