The Coronet cafe hits high note on Fourth Avenue

%09Sally+Kane%2C+owner+of+The+Coronet%2C+stands+at+the+bar+of+her+cafe+on+Fourth+Avenue+and+Ninth+Street.+Kane%26%238217%3Bs+European+styled+cafe+features+live+music+on+Wednesday+nights.+
    Rebecca Marie Sasnett

Sally Kane, owner of The Coronet, stands at the bar of her cafe on Fourth Avenue and Ninth Street. Kane’s European styled cafe features live music on Wednesday nights.

This April, The Coronet cafe opened its doors on the corner of Fourth and Ninth Avenues, beneath the historic Coronado Hotel downtown. The Coronet’s vibrant owner, Sally Kane, has successfully created an atmosphere that emulates a classical big-city cafe, similar to what you would find in San Francisco, Chicago or New York City, that harkens back to a European aesthetic, according to Kane.

Kane is a local entrepreneur who has owned many businesses throughout her life, but none quite like The Coronet. When conceptualizing the cafe, she wanted to craft a place that made her feel the same way she had felt when she was travelling. People can, and do, use the space in different ways, which Kane strongly encourages. The patio has a lovely ambience that is perfect for an afternoon coffee, or perhaps even a cocktail. There are also tables and a bar area available indoors — no reservations required, nor accepted.

The menu can only be described as eclectic, featuring a variety of savory dishes such as shakshuka and seared fig tartines and others originating from countries such as Spain or South Korea. Kane was clear that although the menu may seem a little pretentious because of the names of the entrees, the food itself is not complicated or fussy.

“It simply is what it is,” Kane said.

Kane said she is proud of every item on the menu and that its creation was a collaboration between herself and her two chefs, Jake Alpert and Erika Bostick.

“It’s just food we love ­… that makes sense to us, but it definitely has a classical European sensibility to it”.

Kane said the most difficult aspect of opening the restaurant was launching the restaurant without having systems already established. She said that upon opening, her and her partner, Gregor Kretschmann, were averaging no more than two to five hours of sleep per night. Decisions about opening, closing, tipping and hiring were completely designed from the ground up. However, her outlook on the future is bright as The Coronet begins to host several weekly events on its patio.

Currently, music on the patio is taking place every Wednesday this summer from 7-9 p.m. Patrons can enjoy half-off all wines while appreciating the rhythmic sounds of romantic French jazz artist Naim Amor. Additional events, such as a discount night for bike riders and a fixed-price multi-course meal for other nights of the week, are also in the works.