Indian art fair returns

Visitors to Arizona State Museum
Visitors to Arizona State Museum

The 18th annual Southwest Indian Art Fair will be showcasing more than 200 artists at the Arizona State Museum this weekend.

The event will kick off Friday night with a museum members’ event to congratulate winners of the art fair’s competition awards.

During the weekend, in addition to purchasing handmade art, attendees can also see artist demonstrations, a silent auction, a film showcase and musical performances by Canyon Records musicians including R. Carlos Nakai and Gabriel Ayala.

“”All of the artists and all of our supporters are happy to see it back in its campus location,”” said Martin Kim, sales operation manager with the Arizona State Museum.

Kim said this year represents a new partnership with the Native Eyes Film Festival, which he hopes will create a long-lasting relationship.

Art demonstrations include Pascua Yaqui mask carving, Navajo flute making, Navajo sandpainting, Tohono O’odham basket weaving and Zapotec weaving.

The festival is the oldest and largest in Southern Arizona, according to Kim, and this year’s will also feature Native writers, something the fair has never done before.

One such writer is Susan Folwell, who is presenting works on contemporary changes in pueblo ceramics.

Arizona State Museum members can shop an hour early on Saturday and have a lowered admission price of $5.

“”It is a great opportunity to speak directly with artists instead of being filtered through another entity,”” Kim said.

Admission for adults is $8, $3 for children 12 to 16 years old, and $12 for a two-day pass. It is free for UA and Pima Community College students with student identification, as well as for children 11 and under.

Event proceeds will help the Arizona State Museum support Native artists. Kim’s advice for attendees is to “”come early, stay for the Native foods and enjoy the music and artists.””