“UA Tech Park to house solar plant, flowers”

Bell Independent Power Corp. has chosen the UA Tech Park to house a new solar plant.

“”We believe that we can be a major demonstration facility for solar energy,”” said Bruce Wright, associate vice president for University Research Parks.

The park recently celebrated its 15-year anniversary. The celebration focused on planning for the next 15 years and developing a solar zone as a means of obtaining alternative energy resources.

The solar plant, which will be an anchor tenant of the UA Tech Park’s solar zone, will use up to 45 acres of parabolic solar mirrors to capture solar energy. 

“”The park is partly a demonstration site for solar energy,”” Wright said. “”We want to introduce the public to solar awareness.””

Wright hopes to bring additional types of solar energy to the newly established solar zone. 

“”We’re committed to being sustainable, and the park aims to showcase its expertise and play in the solar energy market,”” Wright said.

The Tech Park preserves resources in other ways. At present, the UA Tech Park recycles all water, including domestic and waste, on site.

In selecting the solar plant site, Bell Corp. looked for the best place for a solar generating station, and was also interested in developing a relationship with a university.

“”The UA Tech Park is a good site for this facility because of their ability to accelerate permitting and will allow us access the University of Arizona’s capabilities,”” said Bell Corp. President Joseph Bell Jr.