UA offers free health screenings for employees

Amy Bailey
At the front entrance of the University of Arizona is a large water fountain surrounded by a dozen different types of flowers.

The University of Arizona’s Life & Work Connections has partnered with the State of Arizona Department of Administration Benefits Services Division to offer 20-minute health screenings for full-benefits staff members to get one free health checkup.

The health screenings consist of a fasting blood test, which requires the patient to fast for eight hours prior to the test, a hemoglobin A1C test, height, weight and waist circumference, blood pressure, osteoporosis and bone-density screenings ($35 copayment for women under 40 years old) and a Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) screening for men 40 years old and older only.

The first session was held Jan. 22 and will have a monthly recurrence. According to Chad Myler, senior coordinator for the event, there was a high turn out with 92% of the expected amount in attendance. 

“Our goal at the end of the day is to promote health and wellbeing for our employees and their life cycle,” Myler said.

RELATED: Organizations join forces to help opioid users get treatment

These health screenings have been taking place for a while. However, this year, the State of Arizona Department of Administration Benefits Division has aided in outreach for the health screenings, providing screenings to more employees in more locations. This statewide program allows employees to choose the screening they are there for.

The first screening that an employee attends in the calendar year is free and after that the patient is required to pay if they return.

“Life & Work Connections is now offering the Mini Health screening through Healthwaves Corporate Wellness Team,” said Megan Rose, director of statewide communications for the Arizona Department of Administration Benefits Division, in an email interview. “As part of the Health Impact Program, employees who participate can earn HIP points toward receiving the annual incentive. The screenings are conveniently offered throughout numerous state agencies and universities, at no charge to the employee, and they can get one free screening per year.”

Team members will be around to aid with the screening as well as to answer any questions that a patient may have. They also offer a monthly checkup for patients to maintain balanced health. Employees who come in will get a body composition analysis, a blood pressure check, a waist circumference check and have a brief discussion with a registered dietician.

For more information, visit the Life & Work Connections website.

Follow Ana Teresa Espinoza on Twitter