Students see red over red tags

History senior Josh Green hangs an information tag on a house north of campus. On Saturday, UA students and area residents hung hundreds of the tags, which inform residents and students on the consequences of receiving a red tag.

Students said they are angry with the UA’s involvement in community relations surrounding off-campus parties.

David Loewenstein, a public administration senior, said he thinks the UA should not get involved with student life outside of campus.

“”I think that the UA and off-campus housing shouldn’t be intertwined, and if you do get a red tag, you shouldn’t have to deal with police and the school,”” Loewenstein said.

However, this weekend, the Jefferson Park Neighborhood Association and the UA community relations department organized teams to hand out information to student housing north of campus.

Door hangers with information on topics such as red-tag avoidance and underage drinking attached to them were dispersed throughout the community in an effort to quell problems between neighborhood families and noisy students.

The information will be good for students to have, Loewenstein said.

“”It’s better to be aware of any type of problems than to be ignorant of the law,”” Loewenstein said. “”The law is the law. Just because you don’t know about it doesn’t mean you’re not breaking it.””

Earlier this year, the Dean of Students Office announced it would be working in conjunction with the Tucson Police Department to discipline students who receive red tags.

Bob Schlanger, vice president of the Jefferson Park neighborhood, said that there is a simple way to not receive a red tag.

“”Don’t have obnoxious parties,”” Schlanger said. “”People need to understand that we are a zero-tolerance neighborhood.””

Schlanger said he has alternative ideas on how to have fun as a student.

“”I went to the U. If you just drive 30 minutes out of town, you end up in the middle of nowhere,”” Schlanger said. “”You just get some trucks and six kegs. You may wake up with a face full of cactus and wonder how you’re going to get home, but you didn’t keep the neighborhood up.””

Katie Bolger, a council aide for Ward III, which contains the Jefferson Park neighborhood, said the UA community relations office organized the awareness event.

“”The point is providing information of some of the basic city programs,”” Bolger said. “”It is aimed at people who are newly off campus.””

Jessica McGary, a political science graduate student, said some of the UA’s policies are good but questionable.

“”I think that it is admirable that the university would take measures to distribute information,”” McGary said. “”The reverse of that, though, is that taking off-campus matters into their own hands isn’t okay. I can’t tell if it’s counterproductive or not.””

The university should educate students but the police should punish them, McGary said.

Brendan Sullivan, a mining engineering junior, said while community relations may be an issue with students, the UA’s reputation is also at stake in the matter.

“”Most of my friends are upset about it,”” Sullivan said. “”We are representatives of the school, though, and we are out there in the community.””