TSO to play ‘American Romance’

The Tucson Symphony Orchestra will serenade listeners this weekend with a classic lineup of American romantic works, with the addition of a few rare quirks.

The concert, titled “”American Romance,”” conducted by music director George Hanson, includes a performance of Aaron Copland’s suite from “”Appalachian Spring,”” George Gershwin’s “”Concerto in F For Piano and Orchestra,”” Howard Hanson’s “”Symphony No. 2 (Romantic)”” and the world premiere of a piece by Composers 11, titled “”Celebration.””

The Gershwin concerto features soloist Michael Sheppard, who has performed throughout the U.S. and Europe, as well as in East Asia and the Middle East in collaboration with the U.S. Department of State’s Cultural Programs Division.

The concerto isn’t complicated, but it’s really enjoyable to both play and listen to, Sheppard said. The soloist resides in Baltimore, Md., and will be visiting Tucson for the first time this weekend.

Gershwin’s “”Concerto in F”” is not the composer’s most well known work, but it is an example of Gershwin’s versatility that “”Rhapsody In Blue”” overshadows for many casual listeners. Composed and performed in 1925, this work highlights Gershwin’s ability to not only construct a grandiose and vibrant orchestration but also his finesse at creating delicate, deliberate motifs expressed through the grace of the piano.

The concert also features Aaron Copland’s suite from “”Appalachian Spring,”” an arrangement of a score he originally composed for a ballet, as well as Howard Hanson’s “”Symphony No. 2: ‘Romantic,'”” a piece that is famous both in the classical world and in pop culture as the song played during the closing credits of the movie “”Alien.””

Finally, the orchestra will perform the premiere of a piece by the group Composers 11, titled “”Celebration.”” The song is based on the party game “”Consequences,”” in which each player writes or draws on a piece of paper, folds it and passes it on to another player to contribute to the work in progress.

Overall, the concert promises to thrill casual listeners and classical aficionados alike with its classic repertoire as well as a sprinkling of rarer pieces.

Performances are Thursday and Friday at 8 p.m., as well as Sunday at 2 p.m., at the Tucson Music Hall, 260 S. Church Ave. Tickets range from $20 to $72 and can be purchased at the box office by calling 520-882-8585 or for more details visit www.tucsonsymphony.org.