Police Beat

A silver and black Samsung cell phone was found in McClelland Hall, 1130 E. Helen St., at 4:45 p.m. Feb. 21.

Police were unable to contact the owner, but officers did reach a friend of the owner who said they would inform her that the University of Arizona Police Department had her phone.

It is unknown how long the phone had been missing.

A dark blue, medium-sized Jansport bag and its contents were stolen in the food court of the Student Union Memorial Center, 1303 E. University Blvd., Feb. 19 between of 1:30 and 3:30 p.m.

At 5:40 p.m. a woman reported the incident. She said her backpack was unattended in the food court between those hours.

She said that, upon returning to the student union, her backpack was nowhere to be found. It contained $2,000 cash, Chinese currency, a Mickey Mouse purse, a passport, a Sony camera and various bank and identification cards.

The woman was advised to cancel her bank cards and to take the necessary steps to get a new passport and government papers.

There are no suspects or witnesses.

A wallet was reported lost Feb. 7, and the CatCard inside of the wallet was later used at the Student Union Feb. 19 at 11:25 a.m.

An officer was dispatched to UAPD regarding larceny, where he met with a man who said he had lost his wallet containing $450 cash, his Arizona driver’s license and his CatCard on Feb. 7 at about 8 a.m.

This occurred in the area of North Park Avenue and East Speedway Boulevard. The man said the wallet contained a Bank of America debit card, but the card was turned into the CatCard office Feb. 8 as found property. He retrieved his debit card on the same day and determined it had not been used.

On Feb. 19 the man learned through the CatCard office that his CatCard had been used on two occasions to make food purchases in the student union.

The first use was Feb. 7 at 10:19 a.m. when it was used at Burger King. The second use was Feb. 7 at Papa John’s. The CatCard was not used again and the man said he didn’t want to freeze the account because he wanted to try to find out who had his wallet.

The man said he will pursue criminal charges against the perpetrator if their identity is determined.

The man was provided victim’s rights and advised to conduct a credit history check. The officer talked with the manager at Papa John’s who said there was no surveillance camera at the store. The manager at Burger King said the store does have cameras, but the recordings from Feb. 7 were no longer available.

A man was arrested at East Sixth Street and North Highland Avenue for driving with a suspended license and spirituous liquor in a motor vehicle Feb. 19 at approximately 4:40 p.m.

An officer arrived to assist another officer on a traffic stop at East Sixth Street and North Highland Avenue. The first officer reported that he had seen the driver drinking from what appeared to be a can of beer in the area.

He said when he activated his emergency lights the vehicle pulled over in the Mansfeld Middle School parking lot, 1300 E. Sixth St.

The man admitted to drinking beer in the vehicle. The can was cold and partially full. The one-pint can of beer was sitting on the trunk of the man’s vehicle, a 1990 Ford with Arizona plates.

The officers also noticed that the man’s license was suspended. The vehicle was towed for a mandatory 30-day impound.

The man was cited and released for having no current registration, driving on a suspended license and having spirituous alcohol in a motor vehicle.