The Arizona golf team finishes third at the Stephens Cup

Marisa Favero

Head coach Jim Anderson (left) and David Laskin (right) converse during the Arizona Intercollegiate Golf Tournament on Jan. 29, 2018. Arizona took the title of first place at the conclusion of the tournament.

The Arizona men’s golf team finished up the Stephens Cup hot and hoping to take the momentum into near future matches. After the three-match days, Arizona ended up finishing third overall but came away with the best tournament score of 281, which equals out to seven under on day two of this tournament. 

On day three, Arizona came out victorious over an extremely solid Florida State squad, in major thanks to Chase Sienkiewicz, Sam Sommerhauser and Christian Banke, who all won their match points Wednesday in pretty convincing fashion. 

Sienkiewicz was Arizona’s best-performing player in this tournament as he finished off five up and three up in his two-match play wins. Chase won day three’s match five up without even playing holes 16 through 18 as it was officially wrapped up by then in the match play scoring system. It was a pretty rare and impressive feat, where he never shot over a five on any hole. 

Arizona has a pretty hefty break before they attempt to re-light this spark they found in Arkansas as they are off till they play in the Copper Cup on Jan. 16 and 17, at an in-state course in Maricopa, Arizona. 

Follow Patrick Carr on Twitter