Police Beat: November 6

Smokin’ in the stairwell

Two UA students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia on Oct. 28.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was on foot patrol in the science concourse and could smell a very strong odor of burnt marijuana coming from the south side of the Math building.

The officer heard several voices in the area but was unable to see anyone, and he believed the students were smoking in a secluded area outside of the building.

Two more UAPD officers arrived and they began to look for the students. As they made rounds around the building, they found four people, three of whom were students, sitting on the second-floor stairwell of the building.

One of the students threw a black sack down the stairwell when he saw the officers. The sack was retrieved and a pill bottle was found inside. There were two Ziploc bags with a total of 2.7 grams of marijuana inside the pill bottle, along with two glass pipes, both with marijuana residue in them.

All four of them said they had been smoking marijuana in the stairwell. One of the students, whose name was on the pill bottle, said he had purchased the smoking pieces earlier that day at an off-campus location. Another student said he threw the sack down the stairs when he saw the officers because he was scared.

One student was issued a violation of the Student Code of Conduct and the parents of the non-UA affiliated person were notified.

Boobie Trap

Two students reported their clothes stolen from their dorm room in Likins Residence Hall on Oct. 27.

A UAPD officer was dispatched to Likins Hall and spoke with the students, who explained that their clothes had been disappearing since September.

They were unsure where their clothes had been going until they saw a mutual friend wearing a bra that belonged to one of the students. The student asked her friend why she was wearing her bra and was told she had lent it to the friend. However, the student was adamant that she did not let the friend borrow the bra.

After the bra incident, the two roommates asked their friend if they could go to her room at Babcock Residence Hall. While they were there, they took photos of her closet, which had a decent amount of their missing clothes in it.

The roommates told the UAPD officer that they never gave her permission to use their clothes and did not want to press charges. They said they just wanted their clothes back.

The UAPD officer contacted the friend and told her to return the clothes immediately. The student was referred to the Dean of Students Office for a violation of the Student Code of Conduct.