Police Beat: January 30

Honesty is the best policy

Two UA students were arrested last Sunday at Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall at around 2:34 p.m. on charges of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.

An off duty resident assistant was walking around Apache-Santa Cruz and smelled marijuana. She found two UA students in the southeast stairwell of Apache-Santa Cruz and asked what they were doing. The students replied, “Smoking marijuana.”

An on duty RA called the University of Arizona Police Department, which dispatched an officer to the scene. The two students identified themselves to the officer, who noticed the smell of marijuana coming from both students.

The officer said to the students, “We all know why we are here, correct — I mean, the smell of marijuana?” The students nodded. When asked, they said they lived in Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall.

The officer then said, “Why don’t you guys give me whatever you have left?” One of the students picked up a blue backpack and handed it to the officer. Inside was a metal grinder with marijuana in it. The officer said, “I wonder who this belongs to?” The first student pointed to the second student and said, “It’s his.” Also inside the backpack were a water pipe, several plastic baggies and another small metal grinder with marijuana in it.

Both students were Mirandized and released at the scene with criminal citations. Dean of Students Code of Conduct referral forms were completed for both students.

Three’s a crowd

A verbal altercation was broken up by a UAPD officer at Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house last Sunday at 1:05 a.m.

A UAPD officer reported hearing a man and a woman arguing loudly inside the FIJI courtyard. The male student followed the female student as she walked away to the courtyard gate, grabbed her by the wrist and forcefully spun her around.

The woman walked away a second time and opened the courtyard gate. The man then reached over the woman’s shoulder and slammed the gate closed.

The officer reached the gate and said, “Open the gate. You need to let her out, and I need to speak with you.” The officer then climbed over the gate.

The man, who was intoxicated, identified himself to the officer and apologized for hitting the woman, who he said was his girlfriend. The officer escorted both students out of the courtyard to interview them. The man said he and his girlfriend argued, and when she tried to leave he grabbed her arm because “she didn’t really want to leave.”

The officer then spoke with the woman, who was also intoxicated. She said, “He is my boyfriend, and I love him. There was no violence.”

At this time, a third UA student, also intoxicated, showed up and began to get verbally aggressive with the officer. The officer told the student he wasn’t involved in the issue and requested him to leave.

The woman said she wanted to stay at the frat house. The officer explained the state domestic violence laws to the students. Dean of Students referral forms were completed for all three students.