UPDATE: University of Arizona Police identify and charge man accused of carrying weapon on campus

Lexi Horsey
The University of Arizona Police Department on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019, in Tucson.

Nearly a week after the University of Arizona Police Department detained a male suspected to have been carrying a gun on the school’s main campus, UAPD identified and charged the suspect. 

According to a UAPD media release, shortly after being taken into custody at the Student Union Memorial Center, the male suspect, Hunter Paddlety, 22, was transferred to Pima County Jail “for violation of ARS 13-2904A Reckless Display of a Deadly Weapon, ARS 13-2904A Disorderly Conduct and 13-2911A Interference or Obstruction of an Educational Institution.” 

UAPD received reports Wednesday morning of a man armed with a gun on campus near the Communications building. Officers responded within seconds and sent out a UAlert to warn people on campus of the ongoing situation. UAPD pursued the man on foot after he fled from them, and ultimately detained him in the SUMC.

Following this incident on campus, UAPD reminded the Tucson community in a media release to take certain protective measures, like signing up for UAlert (the messaging system on which updates of the situation were relayed), downloading the LiveSafe App and following the “if you see say something say something” policy.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter