UA no longer providing COVID-19 isolation dorms

Jacqueline Canett

Babcock Directory at Babcock Dorms, a three floor building, being used as isolation dorms for University Of Arizona. 

The University of Arizona will no longer require students who test positive for COVID-19 to isolate outside of university dorms.

UA President Dr. Robert C. Robbins mentioned the change in positive case protocol in an email on July 21. He referred readers to a FAQs page regarding the new isolation protocol in dorms, which can be found at housing.arizona.edu/covid-19.

“If a resident has a positive result, they will isolate in their assigned housing. University Housing will not be providing separate isolation spaces for residents. You are permitted to isolate off-campus however, the University will not reimburse costs for relocating while isolating,” the page stated.

Previously, students that tested positive for COVID-19 were asked to isolate either off-campus or in a university-provided isolation dorm until the end of their isolation period.

According to the new isolation protocol, the day that a dorm resident tests positive will be “day zero” of their isolation period. On day six of isolation, students may retest with an antigen test but not a PCR test.

If students test positive on day six, they should wait to retest until day 10. Campus Health recommends that students wear a face covering around others for 10 days following a positive test.

A student may stop isolating after completing five full days of isolation, being fever-free for 24 hours, receiving a negative COVID-19 antigen test and either being asymptomatic or showing signs of improving symptoms.

Students found to have violated these procedures may face disciplinary action based on the circumstances of the violation according to Dana Robbins-Murray, director of administrative services for UA Housing & Residential Life.

The UA does not require students to obtain a COVID-19 vaccine, to get tested weekly or to wear a face covering; however, the university still recommends wearing a mask and offers both vaccinations and testing at Campus Health. For more information, visit covid19.arizona.edu.

Follow Kristijan Barnjak on Twitter