U-Locks curb bike thefts

Parking and Transportation Services employees and UAPD officers are fighting against bicycle thefts by pushing U-Locks as a more reasonably means of securing bicycles on campus.

John Walters, a student in the James E. Rogers College of Law, reported his bicycle stolen on Tuesday. He had secured it to the bicycle racks near the College of Law before going to class.

“”And when I was done, it was gone,”” Walters said.

Walters said he used cable locks, though he owned a U-Lock. He said his bicycle was valued at about $300. Walters now gets rides from his girlfriend to and from class and hasn’t heard anything about his bicycle since reporting the incident.

Bill Davidson, marketing specialist for Parking and Transportation Services, agrees U-Locks are the safest way to secure a bike.

“”We sell them at Parking and Transportation Services,”” Davidson said, “”but UAPD might be able to help more on the security advising.””

The most common locks that are broken or breached are the chain locks or the cable locks.

“”Chain locks and cable locks are easily cut with bolt cutters and sometimes even wire cutters,”” said UAPD officer Joe Bermudez.

Chain locks often have a key or combination lock attached to it and a long enough chain is passed through the wheels and frame of the bicycle, and attached to a rack.

“”We recommend the use of the U-Locks because they’re definitely harder to break though,”” Bermudez said. “”They are more secure, thicker and harder to break through.””

There have been 33 bicycle thefts reported this month, according to UAPD’s public records as of Oct. 20.

“”It’s important to have your bicycle’s serial number too,”” Davidson said.

UAPD Public Information Officer Sgt. Juan Alvarez recommends reporting the theft as soon as possible, and to have your bicycle registered with Parking and Transportation Services.