Online Exclusive: Seven Arizona athletes invited to NCAA Indoor Championships

The Arizona men’s No. 5 ranked and women’s No. 12 ranked track and field teams will be represented by seven Wildcats at the NCAA Championships this weekend in Boise, Idaho.

“It all comes down to competing when it counts,” said Arizona head coach Fred Harvey. “We’ve kept our top athletes from being overused so they can succeed at NCAAs.”

Automatic bids were awarded to sophomore Lawi Lalang and senior Stephen Sambu. The duo will compete in the 3,000- and 5,000-meter races.

Lalang is still riding his winning streak since the beginning of cross-country season back in September and is ranked as the top collegiate runner in the nation.

Juniors Nick Ross and Edgar Rivera-Morales will battle it out in the high jump competition.

For the women, reigning champion Brigetta Barrett returns to Boise to top off her season and keep the top mark in the nation of 1.97-m. Julie Labonte, is also looking to defend her title in shot put and currently holds the second-highest mark of the season with a distance of 59-1.25.

“I’ve been working really hard for this and it feels great to have my fellow teammates with me succeeding,” Barrett said. “Julie is a major motivator when I am competing. We root for each other.”

Sophomore Elvin Kibet received Arizona’s lone at-large bid and will compete in the 5,000-m race.

“It feels so great. I didn’t know if I would have another chance this season,” Kibet said. “I do as my coaches say. I am in the best shape I’ve ever been.”