Police Beat: September 25

Fast and furious

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was turning westbound onto Sixth Street at 2:10 a.m. on Sept. 20 when a driver in a maroon Mustang flagged him down. The driver claimed that the driver of an orange Nissan 350Z had waved a gun at him and threatened to shoot. The officer asked the Mustang driver to wait for another officer to come speak with him, while the first officer made a U-turn on Sixth Street and followed the Nissan.

The Mustang driver did not wait for additional assistance, and UAPD made no further contact with him.

The first officer called for backup and once another officer arrived, the first officer initiated a high-risk traffic stop on the Nissan.

When the vehicles reached the intersection of Speedway Boulevard and Country Club Road, the first officer exited his vehicle with his gun drawn and trained on the driver’s head. The officer told the driver to turn his vehicle off and put his keys on top of the car. The driver stepped out of the car and did so.

He was then asked to lift the back of his shirt collar as the officer pointed his pistol at the driver’s torso. The driver wouldn’t comply, so the officer ordered him to get on the ground.

He didn’t have his driver’s license with him and after a background check, his license was found to be suspended indefinitely for an unknown reason.

The officer didn’t find any concealed weapons on the driver’s person. He cited and released the driver for not having a valid license.

One man’s trash

A UAPD officer responded to the Communications building at 3:40 a.m. on Sept. 19 in reference to found property. When the officer arrived at the scene, he met with a UA custodian who showed the officer a black Converse shoebox he had found underneath the west stairwell of the building 10 minutes earlier.

The shoebox contained two homemade smoking pipes, a pillbox with various pills, two plastic necklaces, miscellaneous papers and four loose pills. The custodian said he hadn’t seen anyone around the area where he found the shoebox.

The box was taken to UAPD and the two homemade smoking pipes were marked for destruction. A second officer took the pills to the University of Arizona Medical Center inpatient pharmacy to be properly disposed of. The rest of the items were submitted as found property.

Yet another reason to hate math

A 19-year-old UA student was caught speeding while traveling northbound on Euclid Avenue at 11:10 a.m. on Sept. 19. The man was driving a white BMW at 67 mph in a 35 mph zone.

A UAPD officer who was monitoring traffic at Euclid Avenue and Adams Street at the time heard the vehicle speed up and conducted a traffic stop.

The driver identified himself with a California driver’s license and gave the officer valid registration and insurance information. The driver claimed to be aware that he was speeding and did so because he was upset about a math test he had done poorly on.

The officer cited the driver for criminal speeding and released him.