Sand Volleyball snags two wins over New Mexico

unknown

Arizona sand volleyball player Madison Witt (23) attempts to spike the ball past New Mexico defense during Arizona’s 4-1 win against New Mexico at Jimenez Field on Sunday. Witt and the Wildcats defeated New Mexico twice over the weekend.

Arizona sand volleyball continued its winning ways this weekend as it downed the New Mexico Lobos during both Saturday’s and Sunday’s meetings.

The Wildcats kicked off Easter weekend with a 5-0 sweep of the Lobos on Saturday. 

The first win of the weekend went to Arizona’s Sarah Seiber and Hailey Devlin as they defeated the Lobos (21-13, 21-8).

Arizona’s Allie Cook and Taylor Arizobal followed suit and took down Lise Rugland and Ashley Newman of New Mexico in consecutive sets (21-5, 21-10).

Arizona’s No. 3 team of Kendall Polan and Rachel Rhoades pulled out a win after a close first set against the Lobos’ Devanne Sours and Chloe Crappell, ultimately winning (23-21, 21-15).

Madison and McKenna Witt dominated Julia Warren and Eastyn Baleto (21-12, 21-11).

Arizona’s No. 1 pair of Madi Kingdon and Kaitlyn Leary had a close match but finally pulled out a victory after going to three sets against New Mexico’s No. 1 team of Ashley Kelsey and Hannah Johnson (21-14, 14-21, 15-12).

Day two of the Arizona versus New Mexico match ended in yet another Arizona victory, improving the Wildcats’ record to 10-1 this season.

Arizona’s Kingdon and Leary took on New Mexico’s Kelsey and Johnson again on Easter Sunday. The Wildcats quickly won the two sets (21-9, 21-10).

The Witt sisters, Arizona’s No. 2 pair, defeated New Mexico in an equally dominating fashion with a straight set victory over the Lobos (21-10, 21-11).

Arizona’s Polan and Rhoades picked up another win against the Lobos with their 21-11, 21-18 victories.

Rounding out the Wildcats’ four wins on Sunday was the No. 5 team of Seiber and Devlin, who defeated New Mexico’s Jackie Baro and Taylor Cross (21-19, 21-8).

Newman and Rugland, New Mexico’s No. 4 pair, took home the only win of the weekend for the Lobos after taking down Arizobal and Cook in two close sets (23-21, 21-18).

There is only one more opportunity to see the Wildcats on their home courts, as they take on ASU on April 22 at 4:30 p.m.

Until then, the Wildcats will head to the Sun Devils’ turf in Tempe next weekend to take on CSUB, New Mexico and the Sun Devils in the ASU Sand Volleyball Challenge, followed by a trip to Santa Monica, Calif., for two days in the Pac-12 Invitational Tournament from April 18-19.

_______________

Follow Jordyn Owen on Twitter.