Past president signs new book

Will Ferguson / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Former UA President Peter Likins made an appearance at the UA bookstore for a book signing on Thursday. His book is a memoir on himself and his diverse family, consisting of six children, some who are adopted and from various backgrounds and ethnicities.
Will Ferguson
Will Ferguson / Arizona Daily Wildcat Former UA President Peter Likins made an appearance at the UA bookstore for a book signing on Thursday. His book is a memoir on himself and his diverse family, consisting of six children, some who are adopted and from various backgrounds and ethnicities.

Former UA President Peter Likins returned to campus on Thursday to speak to the public and university supporters about his new book at the UofA Bookstore.

His book, “”A New American Family: A Love Story”” is a family memoir about his life and raising his six adoptive children with his wife, Patricia.

The book is published by UA Press, which prints about 55 books annually. UA Press Interim Director Kathryn Conrad, who introduced Likins, spoke about his book being added to the press’ collection.

“”In his new memoir, we get a look not only into Pete’s family, but what a new American family could be,”” Conrad said. “”As Pete himself said it’s a memoir with a message.””  

The book signing, which was sponsored by the UA Alumni Association, the Office of the President, UofA Bookstore and UA Press, was held at the upper level of the bookstore where the audience was served food and drinks prior to the presentation.

Though Likins has given a speech about his book several times since its publication in March, it was the first time he was able to talk about his memoir while his wife and daughter Krista were in the audience.

“”My kids at this age are all in their 40s, and they are remarkably loyal to family”” Likins said.

Likins talked about his family, including the adoption of each child beginning in the 1960s and the progression of his career from a Stanford student to a university president.

Likins, who was the UA president from 1997 to 2006, also talked about remaining in Tucson five years after his presidency due to how accepting the community was of his family.

“”In all of the places we have lived, Tucson is the most comfortably inclusive community we have ever known,”” Likins said. “”Tucson, in our opinion, is a comfortable place to be different.””

Likins’ book can be purchased at the bookstore in the general books section.