Top five stories of fall 2012

Kyle Wasson
Kyle Wasson / Arizona Daily Wildcat Students and members of the community gathered for UA’s first woman president, Ann Weaver Hart’s, inauguration ceremony, Nov 30.

Ann Weaver Hart inaugurated as first female president of UA
By Kyle Mittan, Nov. 30, 2012

UA faculty members, government officials, state institution administrators and student leaders, all gathered in attendance to welcome Ann Weaver Hart, the university’s 21st president, on Nov. 30. Hart is the first woman to become UA president since the university was founded in 1885.

ASA fee suspension to cut $300K
By Brittny Mejia, Nov. 27, 2012

The Arizona Board of Regents voted to suspend the collection of a fee for a student lobbying organization until it makes a permanent policy decision either in February or during a later meeting. The suspension of the fee will result in a loss of about $300,000 for the Arizona Students’ Association for the spring semester.

SB 1070 raises concerns on UA campus
By Stephanie Casanova, Oct. 1, 2012

Arizona residents questioned the enforceability of SB 1070’s “papers, please” provision without racially profiling. Four sections of the bill were challenged at the federal court on preemptive grounds and only the “papers, please” provision was upheld by the court. Law professors said the law has been further challenged on the grounds of racial profiling.

Space shuttle Endeavour flies over UA on last flight
By Yara Askar, Sept. 20, 2012

More than 100 UA faculty and staff lingered on the roof of the Steward Observatory on Thursday to witness the appearance of the space shuttle Endeavour flying over the UA Mall before it headed to its permanent home in Los Angeles, Calif.

City prepares for streetcar safety awareness
By Stephanie Casanova, Aug. 26, 2012

The City of Tucson and Parking and Transportation Services worked together to ensure the safety of community members during the streetcar’s construction. A communication team also worked on planning a series of outreach and educational programs to teach pedestrians, cyclists and motorists how to be safe once the streetcar is operating.