Arizona women’s basketball takes on UNLV

The Arizona women’s basketball team is heading to Las Vegas, Nev. for its second game of the season, against the UNLV Runnin’ Rebels on Tuesday, Nov 13. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m. PT.

“This game will be a tough game,” said head coach Niya Butts. “But if we continue to play hard it should be a good game.”

The Running Rebels went 22-10 in the 2011-12 season, and posted a home record of 12-5. UNLV only returns one starter from last season in senior guard Kelli Thompson, who averaged 14 points and three rebounds a game last season.

This will be the eighth time these two schools have met: Arizona is 4-3 all-time against UNLV, but is 1-3 in Las Vegas.

Arizona defeated UNLV in 2011 by a score of 62-58, as then junior guard Davellyn Whyte led the way for the Wildcats with 21 points and four assists.

The Wildcats won their season opener against CSU Bakersfield, 71-50. Of the four Wildcats who scored in double digits, Whyte led the way with 16 points and surpassed 2,000 career points.

Senior guard Cheshi Poston added 14 points while junior transfer forward Alli Gloyd and freshman guard Keyahndra Cannon brought in 11 and 10 points, respectively.

“Anytime you can get anyone to score the basketball it’s a good thing,” Butts said.

“We are a very unselfish team which is good. We are playing hard and people are making plays, and that’s always a positive sign as a coach.”

Arizona leaned heavily on its rebounding in their first game of the season, outrebounding the Roadrunners 62-41. Junior forward Erica Barnes led the Wildcats with 12 boards.

Butts was pleased with the Wildcats’ rebounding in their first game, but was less than pleased with their 25 turnovers.

“We still are turning the ball over a little too much,” Butts said.