Staff Picks

Who will win the NCAA men’s basketball national championship?

Ever since my pilgrimage to Lawrence, Kan., in November I’ve been drinking the Jayhawks’ Kool-Aid, so why switch now? You really can’t go wrong with any pick, as these four teams have clearly been the best in the nation all season.

After what should be the best Final Four in years, the fans in San Antonio will be chanting “”Rock Chalk, Jayhawk”” because Kansas features a balanced attack with seven starter-caliber players, all of whom can beat you at any time.

Kansas 72, UCLA 68

Michael Schwartz, senior writer

With four No. 1 seeds in the Final Four for the first time, it would seem quite difficult to choose which two of those will make the NCAA Championship, let alone which one will take it all. While many would rather see the battle of first team All-Americans Kevin Love and Tyler Hansborough as they duke it out for the trophy, I’d rather see Kansas take on a Memphis squad that made Texas (which beat UCLA) look like an eighth grade co-ed team. So bring on the upsets, and give me Kansas winning it all. Then Bret Brielmaier can feel even worse that his last second miss could have upset the future NCAA champion had it gone in. Because I’m sick and twisted like that.

Kansas 81, Memphis 75

Jeremy Hawkes, sports writer

Considering my Final Four picks ended with losses about three rounds ago, I’m going to have to go with the team that has surprised me from the start. Memphis has proven all of its critics wrong over the past two games, defeating Texas and coming through with a huge win over Michigan State. Memphis head coach John Calipari has had to deal with criticism all year long and in my search to take the upset victor, I will go with Memphis.

Memphis 78, Kansas 74

Nick Sturiale, sports writer