Staff Picks

Men’s Hoops: Arizona at Arizona State

The last time around, Arizona whooped the Sun Devils. It wasn’t even close. But ASU finally has a bit of confidence. After losing five straight games by six points or fewer, it finally broke through with a Pac-10 win against a good USC team Sunday. After a poor showing against UCLA in his last game in McKale, look for Ivan Radenovic to have a huge game against Jeff Pendergraph.

Arizona 60, ASU 43

Daniel Harry, sports writer

ASU just beat USC, who has swept Arizona this year. Could a deplorable season get much, much worse for the Wildcats? I think it should ð- maybe a loss like this would finally get the team focused on playing the game well again.

ASU 76, Arizona 73

Tom Knauer, senior sports writer

It has been painful to be an Arizona fan lately. I mean, painful. But hey, at least you don’t go to ASU. With the Devils winning their lone Pac-10 game last weekend against USC, it just goes to show that blind squirrels do find nuts. There is no way the Wildcats will lose this one. It is so obvious that Arizona is going to win this game, even Stevie Wonder sees it coming.

Arizona 89, ASU 70

Ari Wasserman, sports writer

Women’s Hoops: Arizona at Arizona State

Arizona comes in having lost seven of its last 10 games, and the Sun Devils have won nine of the last 10. Can the Wildcats possibly pull the upset and gain some momentum going into the Pac-10 tournament? I wouldn’t bet on it. There is simply too much on the line for ASU to look past Arizona.

ASU 75, Arizona 58

Daniel Harry, sports writer

The Wildcats typically manage at least one marquee win a season, right? (Feb. 15’s against a .500 UCLA team doesn’t count.) I’m pushing it here, I know, but I’m giving Arizona the vote for the sake of irony.

Arizona 65, ASU 64

Tom Knauer, senior sports writer

Arizona is in the exact opposite position of the Wildcat men’s team. Nobody is going to give Arizona a chance in this game. I am going to predict an upset that Mrs. Cleo couldn’t foretell when the Wildcats walk into McKale and put the She-Devils’ fire out. I know it doesn’t make sense, but, heck, crazy stuff happens – Britney Spears is bald, isn’t she?

Arizona 75, ASU 71

Ari Wasserman, sports writer

Men’s Hoops: No. 1 Wisconsin at No. 2 Ohio State

Ohio State has no business being the No. 1 team in the ESPN/USA Today coaches poll. In the first matchup, Wisconsin won by three points at home (but, granted, Ohio State didn’t have Greg Oden). The numbers speak volumes. Ohio State has played North Carolina, Florida and Wisconsin (all contenders for a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament) and they have lost all three games.

Wisconsin 85, Ohio State 76

Daniel Harry, sports writer

Yeah, Ohio State has been indomitable on its home court. Sure, Wisconsin could have jitters after falling at Michigan State and almost letting OSU come back to win in their last meeting. But the Badgers’ experience and better top-to-bottom talent convinces me they’ll show some crucial late-season resilience as well. Winner gets a “”No. 1″” that matters: a top seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Wisconsin 75, Ohio State 66

Tom Knauer, senior sports writer

Wisconsin was ranked No. 1 for about 20 hours before it lost. Well, it was fun while it lasted, but it’s time to step aside and let No. 2 through. The Buckeyes have won 12 straight games without a hiccup, while the Badgers aren’t showing the glimpses of greatness they displayed earlier in the year. Expect the Badgers to blow the game like a little kid into his Super Nintendo cartridge.

Ohio State 98, Wisconsin 63

Ari Wasserman, sports writer