Un-PAC kicks off a new semester of political advocacy at UA

Courtesy Natasha Vaughn
Un-PAC organizers hold a meeting on UA campus with state Rep. Daniel Hernandez on Sept. 29.

The University of Arizona has a new political action committee organizing on campus. Un-PAC held its UA kick-off meeting on Sept. 29 with state representative Daniel Hernandez (D-03). 

Since March of this year, Un-PAC has been organizing on campus and hopes to reduce the role of money in politics. The PAC is currently advocating for the Freedom to Vote Act, a piece of legislation that would reduce voter suppression by making it easier to vote by mail and mandate at least one voting location on college campuses. 

Student Organizer Natasha Vaughan stated, “Un-PAC is an organization of students and young people mobilizing to get big money out of politics and fix our broken democracy so that we can actually solve urgent problems.” 

In a press release, Un-PAC cited a poll for End Citizens United/Let America Vote that reported 72% of respondents supported the Freedom to Vote Act, including a majority of Democrats, Republicans, and independents. 

Vaughan continued  “Our politicians have allowed corporations and moneyed interests to dictate our government for our entire lives.  Our generation faces unprecedented and compounding crises such as climate change, crippling student debt, systemic racism and unaffordable healthcare and much more. The prioritization of big money over our own voices and votes will continue to leave these issues unaddressed unless we work to change that.”

Un-PAC reports having knocked on 53,000 doors and making 35,000 contacts since March 

Learn more about Un-PAC here

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter