Police Beat

An officer arrived at Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall, 910 E. Fifth St., in response to reports of possible marijuana
    use at 10:08 p.m. June 25.

A resident assistant escorted the officer to the fourth floor. Upon leaving the elevator, the officer immediately noticed a strong odor of marijuana in the air. The odor intensified outside a room in the hall. When the door opened, the smell further intensified.

The officer asked if he could speak to the two men in the room, both 18 years old. He noticed that both students had red, glassy eyes with extremely dilated pupils. He asked them to stick out their tongues and could see that they both had a green tinge on the back of the tongue.

The officer told the two that the room smelled like marijuana and asked if they had smoked marijuana in there. After hesitating, they both admitted to smoking marijuana in the room.

When the officer asked if they had any paraphernalia, one of the men removed a small baggie of marijuana and a green apple made into a pipe from his duffel bag.

Both men were cited and released for possession of marijuana. The male who took the pipe out of his bag was also cited for possession of paraphernalia.

Police responded to a report that a man had broken into a vending machine at the Modern Languages building, 1423 E . University Blvd., at 5:03 p.m. June 24.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer spoke to a driver for Tomdra Vending who said he and another Tomdra employee saw a white man in his 20s holding a propane tank in front of the vending machine. They said they saw the man pick up a clear trash bag full of snacks and run west around the building.

An officer spotted the man walking west in the alley between East Second Street and East Speedway Boulevard.

The officer could see that the man had blood on his hands and arms.

The officer explained to the man that he was investigating the break-in of a vending machine.

Without being prompted, the man told the officer that he had been drinking at a fraternity house near East Drachman Street and North Highland Avenue.

The man was talking to a woman when three men from the fraternity expressed their displeasure with him and kicked him out of the house, he said. The men then followed him onto campus, where they had a fight. The man said he was pushed into a vending machine at an unknown location by the men about 20 minutes before having contact with UAPD.

The man said he did not know the names of the fraternity members and that he did not want to press charges.

He denied breaking into or taking anything from the vending machine.

The two witnesses positively identified the man as having broken into the vending machine at Modern Languages.

He was cited and released for criminal damage.

Graffiti was reported in the Second Street Garage, 1340 E. Second St., at 7:43 a.m. June 23.

An officer met a Parking and Transportation Services official, who showed him the graffiti that had apparently been done over the weekend.

On the main pillar of the third level was a large drawing of a broken heart with an inscription reading “”Healing is not an option”” and “”Heartbreak in ’07.”” Below it was an illegible signature.

Nine of the overhead girders nearby each had a single letter in light chalk on them, spelling out “”I-N-V-I-S-I-B-L-E.””

Police have no suspects.