Downing the Double Down

Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat
    Tim Glass
    Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Is a sandwich a sandwich if it doesn’t use any bread? If you believe KFC, then yes, yes it is.

Last week KFC released its Double Down sandwich. This beauty features not bread or buns, but your choice of fried or grilled chicken breasts as its outer layer. The “”sandwich”” is stuffed with two pieces of cheese and bacon. You can give the Double Down a try at a nearby KFC for a mere $5.65.

Are you thinking this is gross or awesome? Gross is probably the more accurate description. The Double Down is something you’d find on thisiswhyyourefat.com among fatty, greasy, nasty recipes for pizzas wrapped in bacon and pulled pork and potato parfaits.

The Double Down was one of those meals so unhealthy that I felt a tremendous amount of guilt about eating it. It was so fatty and slippery that it was hard to handle — physically and figuratively. I will not deny that I removed the bacon from this concoction of meat and cheese. I just couldn’t do it. The Double Down has enough fat without the bacon.

The taste, well, it’s just what you’d expect. It tastes like KFC chicken with cheese thrown in the mix. It’s not terrible, but definitely messy and a bit too salty. This slick meat mass is hard to eat. The grilled chicken version is not much better. It’s just as oily as its fried counterpart.

The idea of skipping the bread and throwing a sandwich fixin’ or two in between two pieces of chicken is as nasty as it is novel. This is one food item I will not be giving a second try.

But if you love KFC and have no quarrel with calorie-heavy, artery-clogging culinary creations, the Double Down may be right up your alley.

Just don’t call it a sandwich.