Tuition goes way way up ohno

Tuition at the UA has increased significantly over the last few decades, regardless of inflation. Whether you are an Arizona resident or an out-of-state student, the price tag of an education at UA has grown significantly throughout the years, and yearly increases in tuition are now the norm. This year, tuition for an undergraduate Arizona resident is $8,326, a 20 percent increase from last year. Many students, whether on scholarship or if their family foots the bill, are affected by these increases, and some have to shoulder the debt of student loans to get their degree.

Others, however, feel financial aid has done an adequate job maintaining pace with tuition increases.

“”Scholarship funding is not linked to tuition, so negligibly, we haven’t seen a decrease in scholarship money because of tuition,”” said John Nametz, director of the Office of Student Financial Aid. “”Our admissions are holding real well. People enrolled for the fall of 2010 are steady, and the numbers are real good. We’re holding up in residence students. They’re pretty flat or the same as last year at most.””

Altogether, UA students will pay $45.5 million more in tuition this year than last year.  

“”Economics tells us that as prices rise, demand falls,”” said Alexandre Borges Sugiyama, a lecturer in economics.

Since its inception, the UA has experienced relative tuition increases that have been growing as fast as the student population itself.