Letter from the Editor: To the freshman class of fall 2020

Congratulations on graduating high school and making your way to this university, even during a pandemic. The year of 2020 just seems to continuously throw us curveballs, and starting college in a rather unorthodox format is certainly one of them. There is a lot of uncertainty about coming to college to begin with — it’s a totally new method of learning, a totally new physical space and, for some of you, perhaps even a totally different state. To add the mixture of online and in-person attendees and all the rules that come with protecting oneself and others makes this the most unique incoming class the university has seen in a long time, or maybe even has ever seen. 

We have all had to adapt to our situation in ways we never saw coming, including this entirely student-run newspaper, the Daily Wildcat. Previously we ran print editions weekly from our own office in the University Services Building. Now, we run almost entirely on a digital format with our editors spread out across the U.S. However, that has not changed our commitment to UA students, parents, alumni and professors to cover the important news on and around the UA campus, whether the campus community is physical or virtual. 

There is still so much we don’t know about what campus will look like this fall because, simply, something exactly like this has never happened before. The staff of the Daily Wildcat has put together this edition with that in mind, and we all sincerely hope the updates, resources and personal tips and tricks from A to Z we have compiled will help you in some way in the upcoming semester. We will continue to publish content daily on our website, as well as on various social media platforms and e-newsletters to bring you the campus information you need. 

On behalf of the entire staff of the Daily Wildcat, and from myself as its editor, welcome and Bear Down! 

Sam Burdette | Editor-in-Chief 

P.S. This publication is run entirely by students at the UA. If you would like to apply for a position — with positions including reporter, columnist, photographer, designer and editor — email editor@dailywildcat.com. 

Follow Daily Wildcat on Twitter