Police Beat: March 11

Dealing drugs? Don’t speed.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was near First Street and Campbell Avenue when he saw a gold Nissan Maxima moving 55 mph in a 35 mph zone.

When the officer pulled the car over, the driver told the officer that he did not have a license and had never had one in any state. He was identified by an Arizona Identification Card.

The officer asked why he was driving without a license and the man said he was picking up some friends. There was a woman in the passenger seat and one in the backseat.

The officer told the man he was going to impound the car and asked everyone to get out so he could check the car.

In the front passenger seat the officer found a black Adidas pouch with folded plastic baggies and a small metal hanging scale.

Also inside the pouch was a plastic baggie with marijuana and a blue aluminum smoking pipe with burnt residue on it.

The man was read his rights and initially told the officer the pouch was a friend’s, but then said it was his and he knew marijuana was inside.

When the officer asked if he had been selling drugs the man said he had and the last time he sold was to a coworker on March 6.

The officer then requested a recorder so the confession could be taped.

The man said on the tape that he had only been selling marijuana for about a week to make some extra money. Within the week, the man said he earned $100.

While the man was being handcuffed, another plastic bag with marijuana in it was found in his front pocket. The marijuana weighed 3.4 grams. The man said the marijuana in his pocket was for his own personal use and he did not intend to sell it.

The man was taken to Pima County Jail and booked on charges of possession for sale — a class four felony — and possession of drug paraphernalia — a class six felony. The recorded interview, the marijuana and the contents of the Adidas pouch were entered into UAPD property as evidence.

Hole-y forbidden fruit in Coronado

An on-duty resident assistant at Coronado Residence Hall called UAPD after she smelled marijuana coming from the hallway on the second floor.

The officer knocked on the door of the room where the smell was the strongest and a resident answered. The officer reported the woman as having red and watery eyes.

The woman allowed the officer in the room where the smell of burnt marijuana became stronger.

She was asked if she had been smoking in the room and the woman said she had smoked earlier with some friends, but would not say with whom.

The officer asked if she had any pot in the room and she pulled a baggie with marijuana inside out of bottom desk drawer.

The resident told the officer that she had bought the marijuana from a man she did not know downtown for $10.

After reading the woman her rights the officer searched her side of the dorm room for any other suspicious things. He found a pink and blue glass smoking pipe, an apple with burnt reside on the top and two holes in the side and a plastic bottle covered with a sock, with a tissue inside and the bottom cut off. The woman told the officer the apple and the bottle were also used for smoking marijuana.

The woman was cited and released for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. The items found in the room were entered into evidence and a Code of Conduct referral was sent to the Dean of Students.

Beer in pockets slows getaway

A UAPD officer saw a man carrying a large blue bottle walking with two other men near Park Avenue, Sunday at 1:40 a.m.

As the officer watched them, he saw the man carrying the bottle yell across the street at two women, “”Hey, fuck you.””

When the officer walked toward the men, two of them stopped immediately, but the man who yelled kept walking away.

The officer noticed the bottle he was carrying was a liquor bottle and shouted for the man to stop. The man looked over his shoulder and said “”No.”” He then started to run down Park Avenue toward University Boulevard.

The officer caught up to the man, pushed him to the ground and handcuffed him.

As the officer was doing a search of the man, he found two unopened cans of beer in his back pockets, a 12-ounce Miller Light can and a 12-ounce can of Coors Light. The bottle the man had been carrying was a 750-mL bottle of Pinnacle Grape Vodka, about one-third of the way full.

The man told the officer that he “”had him”” on the alcohol. He also denied saying anything to the women walking on the other side of the street.

The man was taken to Pima County Jail and booked on charges of minor in possession in body, minor in possession of spirituous liquors and disorderly conduct.

A Code of Conduct referral was also sent to the Dean of Students.

Man gobbles ganja in jail

An officer saw a man riding his bicycle behind the Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall on Monday at 4:19 a.m. carrying a potted plant.

The officer stopped the bicyclist and conducted a records check, which showed he had two warrants from Pima County Jail for failure to appear to court. Before the man was transported to Pima County Jail, the officer attempted to search the man’s pant pockets, but was unable to because of the small size of the pockets.

The man was warned of bringing illegal contraband into the jail and he said he did not have anything on him.

While inside the jail, the man was seen pulling a small baggie out of his pocket and putting something in his mouth.

The man was again told of the jail contraband policy and the man said, “”It’s only pot.”” He continued to chew on the marijuana plant and swallowed it.

The officer told the man that if he had not brought the marijuana into the jail it would have only been a misdemeanor charge, but because he lied, it would be a felony charge. The man told the officer, “”I know, I really fucked up.”” He was booked on felony charges of prison contraband, possession of paraphernalia, and the charges for his previous warrants.

The marijuana bags were entered into UAPD property as evidence.