“Vehicle strikes SafeRide van, no injuries”

A SafeRide van was involved in a traffic accident on North Park Avenue Thursday around 11 p.m.

The van was headed north on Park Avenue carrying three passengers and a driver when another vehicle turned left and struck the van, said Eric Bareiss, administrative director of Safe Ride and a senior majoring in economics.

The accident was not the fault of the SafeRide driver, Bareiss said.

One passenger sustained a minor cut above his eye. He was examined and released at the scene.

“”There was absolutely nothing that we could’ve done,”” Bareiss said.

It was unclear what traffic citations were issued involving the accident. The University of Arizona Police Department did not provide the police record of the accident at press time.

SafeRide has not been involved in a major accident in 10 years, Bareiss said.

To ensure the safety of passengers, SafeRide screens potential drivers.

Applicants must have at least two years of driving experience, have their driving record examined by University of Arizona Risk Management and be supervised by another SafeRide driver or director for two shifts at the beginning of their employment.

“”We employ some of the safest drivers around,”” Bareiss said.

No administrative changes will be made in the SafeRide program following the accident.

“”SafeRide is continuing to operate as normally and students need to rely on us for campus transportation,”” said Anthony Genovese, operations director for SafeRide and a senior majoring in public administration.