Zoo to get free water in ’08

Students in the Zona Zoo section at home football games will be able to receive free water beginning the first game of next year after complaints about safety and comfort of the student section were brought up.

While tonight’s football game against Oregon is being hailed as the UA’s biggest contest of the season, Zona Zoo members will have limited access to water until the first game of next season.

Currently, the Zona Zoo section on the east side of Arizona Stadium has no fountains for members, as the only way to obtain water is to purchase it, said Tommy Bruce, president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona.

“”For safety and health reasons, we should have water at the games since there are no water fountains,”” Bruce said.

After Bruce received several complaints, the decision was made to provide a water jug and cups for Zona Zoo members to enjoy at every game beginning next fall.

“”There use to be water brought to the games, but it was stopped, and now that a few comments have been made, we are bringing it back,”” Bruce said.

Football games are usually three to five hours long, depending on whether it is televised. Tonight’s game, which starts at 7, will be shown on ESPN.

Zona Zoo members are seated in a small, compact area, and if they are sitting in the middle or the end of the section, it can be difficult to access the north side of the stadium where the concession stands are, said David Roost, director of Zona Zoo.

“”Once you are in the section, you can’t roam around or leave,”” Roost said. “”If you leave your area, you can’t get back in.””

Borna Goharriz, a biology junior and a Zona Zoo member since August, believes “”not having water fountains is definitely a problem in the Zona Zoo section.””

“”They have people who come around and sell water bottles, but it is, like, $3 for a bottle of water,”” he said. “”If you get water from the concession stand it is, like, $5.””

In addition, no containers, large bags, backpacks or parcels are allowed into Arizona Stadium.

UA policy also prohibits bringing food or beverage containers into the stadium, and people who bring them will be asked to dispose of them or return them to their cars or homes.

Aaron Smith, a physics doctoral student and a Zona Zoo member since last year, said he usually buys something to drink when he goes to the home football games.

“”I am surprised there are no water fountains, but I never noticed it before,”” Smith said.

Goharriz said he thinks the addition of free water at the games will help ease the pain of spending extra money on concessions at games.

“”I hadn’t heard they were going to be giving away water, but that is a good idea,”” he said. “”At least there is an opportunity for people who don’t have extra money to get some water.””