UA golf teams finish first day

As the Arizona women’s golf team headed for Illinois to compete in the Windy City Collegiate Classic at Evanston Golf Course, the athletes knew they had something to prove. Through the first two rounds, the team is still trying to do just that.

The Wildcats currently sit in a fourth-place tie after the second round of the tournament was completed Monday afternoon. The team led the tournament with a first-place finish after round one, shooting a 9 over par, but the team shot 18 over par overall in the second round, finishing the day at 27 over par.

“”We have got to go out there and play our best every time,”” said UA head coach Shelly Haywood.

So far the Wildcats have stuck to their game plan of playing together as a team, with all of the players shooting almost the same scores through the first day.

Freshman Isabelle Boineau and Margarita Ramos each led the way for the Wildcats with a 6 over par, which puts them in a tie for 10th place individually. Right behind them is senior Amanda Wilson, who sits in a tie for 16th place at 7 over par. Junior Brittany Benvenuto (8 over, 22nd) is coming off of a tournament in which she shot a career-best final round. Freshman Nikki Koller finished at 13-over-par for the day, which was good enough for her to sit in a tie at 39th place, individually.

“”This year we just have so much depth, which is something that we didn’t have last year,”” Haywood said. “”We are able to play much more as a team.””

Purdue currently sits atop the leader board of the tournament after a disappointing first round, in which the Boilermakers shot 13 over par and sat in fifth place. They were able to climb all the way back to the top after a stunning 2 over par showing in round two.

The Wildcats are back in action today for the final round of the tournament.

“”We have a lot of options with our team, where anyone can come out and be a leader at anytime,”” Haywood said.