Arizona’s Kevin Parrom shot, in stable condition

Arizona junior forward Kevin Parrom was shot early Saturday morning in The Bronx, New York, and is now in stable condition, according to a report by ZagsBlog.com.

“He was shot one time in the right leg,” an anonymous source at the New York Police Department spokesperson told SNY.tv. “He was taken to Lincoln Hospital in stable condition.”

“He was with a woman and two people came to that location and knocked on the door. They followed him into a bedroom and shot him with a 22-caliber handgun. No one else was in the apartment when he was shot.”

UA athletic director Greg Byrne said Parrom was visiting his hospitalized mother, according to a release.

Head coach Sean Miller said he has been in contact with Parrom’s family.

“I have been in contact with Kevin and his family throughout the weekend and look forward to his return to Tucson and being back in class this week,” Miller said. “Our focus is on Kevin’s health right now. Once we have more information, well be able to
address his potential return to team activities.”

Iona guard Lamont Momo Jones, Parrom’s teammate with Arizona the last two seasons, tweeted, “Pray for my bro @kevinparrom3, he’s a tough cookie spoke to him earlier he’s going to be ok!!! Trust and Believe that!! Love you kid!!”

Parrom was visiting his home for the weekend, posting on Twitter on Wednesday: “Going Home 2mro To Make Sure My Mother Is Staying Strong . . #familyfirst “

“Playing music for my mommy on my ipod. Tryna keep her strong. I love her,” he tweeted Friday.

An unnamed source told ZagsBlog.com’s Adam Zagoria that two men showed up to Parrom’s house, one wielding a gun, as Parrom was being visited by a woman. The source said words were exchanged with one man, who the source said was a jealous boyfriend or ex-boyfriend, and Parrom ended up wrestling the men for the gun.

Parrom was grazed in the hand and also in the leg, and his former AAU coach of the New York Panthers, Gary Charles, told SNY.tv that Parrom told him Sunday, “I’m good. I’m walking.”

Parrom averaged 7.6 points per game and 3.4 rebounds last season as a key reserve.