Wildcat Cheat Sheet Sept. 23: Scooby practices for first time since injury

Sally Lynx / The Daily Wildcat
The Ghosts exhibition is on display at the University of Arizona’s Joseph Gross Gallery. The exhibition features the work of Ralph Ziman, a South African artist working to bring the realities of the African arms trade to light.

Will Scooby Wright III play Saturday?

That’s the most pressing question around UA and throughout Tucson, as Arizona’s primetime Saturday matchup with UCLA creeps closer.

The answer became a little bit clearer after Arizona football’s Tuesday practice.

“Every rep [Wright] takes during practice is a physical test,” Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez said. “We’ll see what he did today, tomorrow and by Thursday we’ll know.”

Thursday is when Arizona releases its weekly injury report.

Rodriguez said he didn’t focus much on Wright during Tuesday’s hour and a half practice, as his attention was focused on the offense.

Wright was seen on the field in full gear toward the beginning of practice, competing with the first-team defense.

Bad memories with UCLA stick with Wildcats

It wasn’t a pretty sight for the Wildcat faithful when Arizona played UCLA last year at the Rose Bowl.

The Wildcats were held to just one score in a 17-7 battle against a bruising Bruins defense.

A year later, Arizona quarterback Anu Solomon hasn’t forgotten the dismal offensive performance. On that night, Solomon completed just 18 of 48 passing attempts.

“If we play like that again, we’re going to get embarrassed on a national stage,” Solomon said. “We can’t come out the way we came out last year.”

Rodriguez said he also remembers that loss vividly, although it’s clear that he would rather put it behind him for good.

“I was a little bit sick to my stomach [watching game film],” Rodriguez said. “It was pretty hard on all of us. [Solomon] didn’t have a good game, I didn’t have a good game, none of us had a good game.”

If one bright spot emerged in the loss, it came in the form of Arizona’s defense. Led by Wright, the Wildcats mostly limited a high-powered UCLA offense.

Star UCLA cornerback reinstated; another cornerback out for season

Senior Bruins cornerback Ishmael Adams was reinstated into the program earlier this week after the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office decided not to file charges regarding Adams’ arrest last month.

Adams had been indefinitely suspended from the team after being arrested for stealing a cell phone from an Uber driver.

According to the Los Angeles Times, it is not clear whether Adams will be available to play this Saturday.

UCLA head coach Jim Mora told the paper that he would evaluate Adams’ progress in practice this week before deciding whether the cornerback will play this weekend.

Fabian Moreau, another UCLA defensive back, is out for the season with a foot injury.

Moreau is the second key UCLA defensive player to undergo a season-ending injury this season.

Earlier this month, Bruins defensive end Eddie Vanderdoes suffered a knee injury that will sideline him for the rest of the year.

Follow the Daily Wildcat for College GameDay coverage

The Daily Wildcat will be providing behind-the-scenes coverage of College GameDay’s visit to Tucson, both leading up to and during the show.

Give @WildcatSports a follow on Twitter and like the Daily Wildcat Facebook page to receive up-to-the-minute coverage of College GameDay Saturday morning, as well as Arizona vs. UCLA game coverage Saturday evening.