ASUA approves funding for development project

ASUA approved funding for a Community Development’s Cheer and Basketball League and discussed a request to change the differential tuition fee into a program fee for the School of Government and Public Policy on Wednesday.

The league, which is funded through the Associated Students of the University of Arizona’s Programs and Services, will be open to 4th through 8th graders in the Tucson community. Although the project’s initial allotment was $3,000, Administrative Vice President Brett Ponton said that the project needs $300 more to background check and fingerprint the 30 student coaches.

“We need to ensure safety,” Ponton said.

Senator Blanca Delgado urged the senate to approve the full amount of $3,300.

“It’s very awesome that ASUA gets to reach out to the community, especially with kids,” she said.

The Senate unanimously approved funding for the Community Development Cheer and Basketball League.

Brint Milward, director of the School of Government and Public Policy, requested to change the differential tuition fee in the school to a program fee for a Bachelor’s of Science in Public Management and Policy. When the Eller College of Management oversaw the School of Government and Public Policy, Milward explained, there was an $800 differential tuition fee for government and public policy majors. Now that the political science major merged with the school, Milward requested that political science majors and government and public policy majors pay a “program fee” of $800 per year.

The program fee would provide career and internship opportunities for both majors and potentially add two more advisers within the school, he said.

“We (the school) do a great job with advising, but we don’t have enough advisers,” Milward said. “Dealing with the UA in trying to get money into our budget for this has been a challenge.”

The program fee would apply to current juniors and seniors studying public management and policy this year, and to rising juniors studying political science starting next year.

The program fee should create more resources, Milward said, because the differential tuition fee helped decrease class sizes within the school, enhance professional career development, expand opportunities for honors students and fund the Philosophy, Politics, Economics and Law major.