UA Emergency Services offers 24/7 health care, among other providers

New UAEMS building, which is located south of South Stadium Parking Structure. Courtesy Mary Hardin.

A new school year is right around the corner, and if the year 2020 has taught us one thing, it is that life can throw some curveballs our way. Luckily, the University of Arizona has a number of different emergency services to make you feel safe whether you are on or around campus.

University of Arizona Emergency Medical Services is a student-run agency staffed completely by EMTs 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

“UAEMS operates one non-transport rescue vehicle staffed by two EMTs that responds to all medical emergency calls on campus in conjunction with Tucson Fire,” said Jacob Robishaw-Denton, the deputy chief of operations.

UAEMS provides contract medical standby services at campus events and functions. 

UAEMS staff go through in-depth training to ensure they are able to respond to calls safely and efficiently. They are also trained in crowd maneuvering and events involving multiple patients. UAEMS holds education courses and mock drills weekly to keep their members up to date on current protocols.

RELATED: UA Emergency Medical Services receives new station from CAPLA

UAEMS provides multiple services for the public and community. They offer American Heart Association First Aid and CPR certification courses to the public. UAEMS has a close partnership with the Sarver Heart Center at Banner University Medical Center — Tucson and holds community education services.

UAEMS accepts a new class of EMT-certified volunteers every fall and spring semester and offers a first responder scholarship for those interested in becoming an EMT who haven’t taken their course yet. Both applications can be found at ems.arizona.edu under “Join Our Agency.”

In an emergency situation, students can get into contact with EMS by calling 911. The dispatcher will send UAEMS to any call within the university’s bounds, so they will be notified and come to the location quickly. For non-emergency situations, students can email uems@email.arizona.edu for any questions or concerns.

Another service through the UA is SafeRide, which is a free transportation service. SafeRide is a nighttime alternative to walking alone on campus. SafeRide is managed and operated entirely by students under the sponsorship of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona.

SafeRide provides rides between any two locations within their boundaries.

To get a ride from SafeRide use the app TapRide or call 520-621-7233. SafeRide typically responds in about seven minutes.

The University of Arizona Police Department is another emergency service through the UA. UAPD’s mission statement is “to promote a safe and secure community through professional law enforcement stewardship, education, engagement, and partnership.”

The department has 65 state-certified police officers and 49 civilian employees who help and respond to calls 24 hours a day. 

UAPD responds to 911 calls, and their non-emergency number is 520-621-8273. 

Other ways to report a crime are through the 911 emergency blue light telephones located on campus. 

Students can use their phones to contact the police department for any reason. UAPD also works closely with 88-Crime. 

Students are also able to sign up for UAlert, which is a free service that delivers emergency alerts via cell phone, email accounts or other mobile devices during a campus emergency.

Follow Jillian Bartsch on Twitter