Arizona volleyball defeats Colorado and Utah, Rubio pleased with wins

The Arizona volleyball team snapped its five-game losing streak over the weekend, winning games against Colorado on Sunday and Utah on Friday.

The Wildcats took on the Utes on Friday night in Salt Lake City, Utah, and hung for a 3-2 (25-22, 23-25, 25-22, 23-25, 15-7) win. On Sunday, the Wildcats met the Buffaloes in another game in Boulder, Colo. Arizona struck a quick lead, taking the first two sets and going 3-1 (25-22, 25-16, 25-27, 25-16).

“There’s a list of things that we need to accomplish, but I’m pleased that we won and that we’re turning corners,” head coach Dave Rubio said.

The Wildcats are 11-8 for the season and now have three Pac-12 wins. With the two wins this weekend, Arizona has managed to break its losing slump. Rubio is looking to continue taking steps so that the team is competing at a higher level each week.

“I actually like that we travel,” Rubio said. “It brings the team closer and they spend more time with one another whereas when they’re home, they tend to scatter.”

As the team gets closer off the court, their chemistry at game time is also progressing, and their skills will only improve with time.

“For us, each week is about becoming a more mature team in how we carry ourselves,” Rubio said. “We want to make it so we can compete with the best.”

There’s no denying that the Wildcats were thirsty for a win and the road trip was the perfect opportunity for a confidence boost.

Rubio said that the weekend’s opponents were at a slightly different level than the ranked teams but that he’s still happy with the wins.

“Our setting was very good this weekend and our serving was especially solid,” Rubio said. “Good serving gives us the opportunity to be in a position to generate better plays.”

Rubio said that junior setter Chanel Brown’s serve was particularly helpful this weekend with five serving aces against Colorado and that sophomore outside hitter Madi Kingdon was the offensive guiding force for the team.

Kingdon drilled a career high 28 kills against Utah along with back-to-back double doubles this weekend. This is her eighth on the season. Freshman hitter Halli Amaro followed up with her own career-high 16 kills and an efficient .414 hitting percentage.

“I’m happy with the progress we’re making and we just have to continue to improve,” Rubio said. “The fact is that we have a lot to do in a very short amount of time.”

Arizona returns to McKale Center after two weekends away for games against Oregon and Oregon State. The No. 5 Ducks visit on Friday and Oregon State will play on Sunday. Both matches will air on the Pac-12 Network.