UA Softball opens up its season going 3-1 for the weekend

Caleb Villegas

Hannah Martinez (2) of the Arizona softball team running to home plate to celebrate after she hit a homerun at Rita Hillenbrand Memorial Stadium on Saturday, March 30, 2019, in Tucson. This was her first career home run.

The Arizona softball team made its presence known, starting the season going 3-1 in the four games they played. On Thursday, the No. 9 Wildcats defeated Southern Utah University in their season opener 22-1 in five innings. 

Thursday (2/10) vs Southern Utah

In the top of the 1st with two outs, Southern Utah’s Reilly Williams homered to left field to give them a 1-0 lead early. During the bottom of the second, the Wildcats started to pick it up scoring 10 runs in that span. Sophomore outfielder Jasmine Perezchica doubled to the left side to put up three RBIs for the Wildcats. Sophomore infielder Blaise Biringer singled to center field, leading Perezchica to score from third. 

Then sophomore catcher Sharlize Palacios reached on a fielder’s choice to bring in sophomore outfielder Janelle Meoño to score for the Wildcats. Sophomore utility Allie Skaggs then three-run homered into left field to bring in Biringer, Palacios and herself to score. Sophomore infielder Carlie Scupin solo-homered to center field to give the Wildcats another run in the bottom of the 2nd. 

RELATED: 2022 Arizona softball media day observations

Before Southern Utah finished out the inning, Wildcats’ senior utility Hannah Martinez singled to third base to bring in another run to make the score 10-1 after the second inning. From there, the Wildcats didn’t hold back as they put up 12 more runs to defeat Southern Utah 22-1 in their season opener. This was the largest opening day victory for the team. 

Friday (2/11) vs Southern Utah

In their second consecutive matchup against Southern Utah, the Wildcats took care of business as they didn’t let up a single run. The first inning was no joke for the Wildcats as they put up 11 runs to seal the deal early. Palacios homered to left field to give the Wildcats an early 2-0 lead. 

Sophomore pitcher Devyn Nets, who pitched for Arizona this game, reached on a fielder’s choice allowing Skaggs to score. Perezchica then singled up the middle allowing Scupin to score. Meoño got walked immediately after allowing freshman outfielder Paige Dimler to score. 

Biringer then earned a sacrifice run allowing Netz to score. Palacios singled to shortstop while Perezchica scored for Arizona. Skaggs homered to center field earning three RBIs to finish out the inning at 11-0. The Wildcats then cruised to victory as they defeated Southern Utah once again to finish the game 15-0.

Saturday (2/12) vs No. 2 Alabama

The Wildcats had quite the challenge ahead of them as they took on the No. 2 softball team in the nation, the the University of Alabama. Neither the Wildcats or Alabama scored in the first two innings, which made the game even more interesting. Alabama’s Lexi Kilfoyl homered to left field to give Alabama an early 1-0 lead. Jenna Johnson of the Crimson Tide then tripled to center field to allow her teammate Ashley Prange to score. 

Alabama’s Kaylee Tow reached on a fielding error by Wildcats pitcher Hanah Bowen to allow Johnson to score. Alabama catcher Abby Doerr 3-run homered to extend the Tide’s lead to 6-0 to finish out the third inning. It was smooth sailing for Alabama from there as they recorded two more solo homers and a three-run homer to win the battle against the Wildcats 11-0.

Sunday (2/13) vs New Mexico

Wildcats starting pitcher Bowens proved herself during this game by pitching a shutout against the University of New Mexico Lobos. The first two innings of the game weren’t so exciting as neither of the teams could put runs on the board. During the bottom of the third, the Wildcats started to heat up as they started to get runners in scoring position. Palacios reached on a fielder’s choice allowing sophomore infielder Sophia Carroll to score for Arizona. The Wildcats ended up winning the game 1-0 against the Lobos.

The Wildcats have another long week ahead of them as they prepare for the Hillenbrand Invitational this upcoming weekend. The Wildcats face the University of California Santa Barbara on Friday at 3 p.m. and Long Beach State at 6 p.m in Rita Hillenbrand Memorial Stadium in Tucson. 

Follow Sam Gillman on Twitter