Police beat: April 22

Now I guess he’s on crack

Two non-UA affiliates were arrested on charges of trespassing in a UA parking lot at 4:20 a.m. on April 17.

University of Arizona Police Department officers became suspicious of the couple when the man was seen carrying a bicycle tire “briskly” through a parking lot toward Mabel Street. One of the officers recognized the two from a week before, when they were stopped for suspicious activity and told they’d be arrested for trespassing if they returned to campus without a valid reason.

Officers then separated the man and woman to speak with each individually. During the man’s interview, he began yelling, “Stop talking, stop talking,” and “Don’t say shit,” to the woman. The officer then instructed the man to lay on the ground, where he was then handcuffed. The woman seemed embarrassed and apologized for the man’s behavior.

She told police the two lived in a motel room together and that they were carrying the bike tire to fill it up at an air pump.

During a search of the man, a glass pipe with burned residue was found in his possession.

“Fuck, that’s not mine. I don’t even smoke crack,” he said. “This isn’t even my sweater.”

He was then charged on charges of possession of drug paraphernalia as well as for trespassing and booked into Pima County Jail.

Frenemies getting physical

A UA student reported “ongoing issues” with her ex-roommate at Coronado Residence Hall at 4:11 p.m. on April 15.

UAPD officers met with the student, who said she’d been to a party with a friend on April 12, and overheard her ex-roommate, now suitemate, complaining loudly about the reporting woman’s friends being there.

The reporting woman, who is suspended from her sorority, waited several minutes before entering the party, where the ex-roommate saw her.

A woman then pushed the reporting student and asked what she was doing there. Three women then “pile(d)” on the reporting woman’s friend, who was sitting on a couch. They began to strike the friend in the face with closed fists for 30 to 45 seconds, according to the report.

Police then spoke with the assaulted woman who said that upon arriving at the party, a woman saw her and told her she “had no business being here.” When a separate person pushed her friend, she said two girls began “screaming, yelling and punching” her for 30 to 45 seconds on the couch while she covered her face.

Another woman then grabbed her and punched her in the chin. All of the women who initiated the fight were then kicked out.

Police were then shown a text message the reporting woman had from April 13, reading, “my sorority sisters beat the shit out of (redacted) and (redacted) tonight letting you know.”

Police later spoke with the ex-roommate, who was one of the alleged aggressors, who said she fought but wasn’t physical with anyone and did so to keep the reporting woman from getting in further trouble with her sorority. The woman said the two had issues in the past but were friends.

None of the women wished to pursue criminal charges or reported injuries, so the case has been documented and closed.