Israelpalooza displays Isralei culture on campus

Israelpalooza will feature the culture, people and food of Israel on the UA Mall today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The event is sponsored by the Hillel Center and includes a movie produced by students about Israel, an Israeli self-defense demonstration called “”Krav Maga,”” articles about Israeli politics, Israeli music and free Israeli food.

Michelle Blumenberg, the executive director of the Hillel Center, said that Israelpalooza is a fun way for the whole UA community to learn about Israel. She said some of ways the event will be doing this is through teaching about different cities and religions in Israel.

The annual event will differ from last year because it will include Krav Maga and more food, such as falafel and baklava, according to Blumenberg.

Max Rusinov, Hillel’s Israeli fellow, said that most students know about Israel from the news, which can portray it as a “”horrible country.”” The goal of Israelpalooza, he said, was to not only refute that statement but to show the country’s interesting culture.

“”There are a bunch of things going on in Israel that is not only war,”” Rusinov said.

There will also be a book that the UA community can put their prayers in, which will later be inserted in the Western Wall in Jerusalem, according to Rusinov.

The event is part of Hillel’s “”Israel Week,”” which features Scott Blakeman, a political comedian from New York. He will be performing political humor from a liberal Jewish perspective, according to the Hillel Center.

The comedy event is tonight at 7 p.m. at DV8 nightclub with a $10 admission fee.