Students compete in video contest

Across the state of Arizona, students are creating their very own videos in support of Proposition 100.

Proposition 100 is a proposed temporary one-cent, three-year tax increase to provide money for education, public safety and health services.

The video competition was created to promote Proposition 100 and to engage students by utilizing new technology and other creative methods, according to Elma Delic, board chair of the Arizona Students’ Association, a prevalent campus voice in support of Proposition 100.

Four finalists have been selected for the $500 prize for the winning video.

Delic believes that high student involvement programs such as the video competition are “”critical to the success of ASA’s campaign and getting students to vote yes on Prop. 100.””

According to official releases by Rachel Williams, the Arizona State University field organizer for ASA, if Proposition 100 does not pass, cuts will top $540 million in education, in addition to $90 millionin public safety and more than $200 million in health services.

Gabriella Ziccarelli, administrative vice president for the Associated Students of the University of Arizona, submitted the UA Proposition 100 video, one of the four finalists in the competition.

“”The whole idea is that we want to plant the seed,”” Ziccarelli said. “”It’s meant to be a silly but we want people to be educated.””

Featuring both the facts about Proposition 100 and a call to action for students, her video was one of many that expressed student support. The UA head of ASA, Daniel Martinez, recruited Ziccarelli after seeing her video rallying student support for the ASUA elections.

“”They got such good feedback from (the first video),”” she said. “”And I’ve been involved with ASA for over four years, so we just did it for fun and it was really fun to put together.””

Formed in 1974, ASA represents students on the Arizona Board of Regents, receiving funding from student fees to work to provide an independent and strong student voice.

Delic noted that all facets of this competition are representative of student voices.

“”Now that the competition is over, we will be setting up the ability for students to vote for their favorite video on the ASA website,”” she said. “”(We will also be) creating a committee that has students from all of the campuses to judge the videos.””

The favorite will be awarded a $500 prize, another initiative to get students involved.

“”A lot of people are concerned,”” Ziccarelli said of the tax increase in Proposition 100. “”But (students) casting votes will affect the quality of their degree and the quality of education in Arizona. It’s rare that (students) can change the history of the state as we know it.””