Arizona football’s key plays from season opener win over SDSU

Nathanial Stenchever

Jacob Cowing, a wide receiver on the Arizona football team, works on returning kick-offs on Aug. 20, 2022, at Arizona Stadium. The mock game would consist of the offense taking on the defense for the night in a friendly scrimmage.

The Arizona football team secured their first win of the season after defeating San Diego State University 38-20 on Saturday at Snapdragon Stadium in San Diego, California. Here are some key plays from the victory.

Halfway through the first quarter of play, redshirt freshman Dalton Johnson blocked a SDSU punt to set up the Wildcats with their best starting field position of the day on the Aztec 40-yard line. From there, it took only seven plays for Jayden De Laura and the Arizona offense to march down the field, resulting in a Jacob Cowing 17-yard touchdown reception to put the Wildcats up 10-0.

San Diego State began a drive on the Arizona 40-yard line following a de Laura interception. With Arizona ahead 17-10, SDSU could tie the game late in the second quarter with a score. After a 25-yard rush was brought back due to holding, SDSU quarterback Braxton Burmeister passed up the middle and was intercepted by Arizona defensive back Jaxen Turner with 2:15 left until halftime. The takeaway was key in preventing a SDSU score and setting up Cowing’s second touchdown catch of the day to put Arizona up 24-10 at the half.

RELATED: Meet Tetairoa McMillan: Arizona’s highest rated recruit in program history

Arizona head coach Jedd Fisch must have been telling the team not to let up during his halftime speech. The Wildcats marched down the field and following a 37-yard pass to Tetairoa McMillan on the right side of the field, de Laura hit Cowing down the middle for a 25-yard touchdown, his third of the day. Arizona came out of halftime strong to take a 31-10 lead. Cowing is the first Power 5 receiver to have three touchdowns in a debut since Michael Crabtree in 2007, according to Fisch.

DJ Williams led the Wildcats’ rushing attack with 88 yards on 14 carries and a score. Leading 31-20 early in the fourth quarter, Williams ran to the left side for a 10-yard touchdown to put Arizona fans slightly at ease up by 18 points with 13 minutes remaining. Paris Shand forced a fumble and Kolbe Cage recovered it for the Wildcat defense later in the fourth as they secured the victory with a final score of 38-20.

Follow Alex Poor on Twitter