The wrong side of the coin

The Arizona football team has a 1-in-4,096 chance of losing tomorrow.

Well, if the coin toss doesn’t go their way for a 12th straight time, that is.

Dating back to November 2005, the Wildcats have now lost 11 consecutive flips prior to kickoff that determine the receiving team and who will guard each end zone.

“”It’s getting out of control now, because there’s no way we can lose that many times,”” said Spencer Larsen, one of the team’s four captains and the one who usually calls out Arizona’s choice of heads or tails before road games. “”It should be 50-50, right?””

In theory, yes, but according to UA math assistant professor Karl Glasner, Arizona’s recent string of – um – bad flips of the coin was a 1-in-2,048 chance.

“”That’s what I figured,”” said Larsen, whose personal choice is heads, though at times he has been overruled by teammates.

Said UA head coach Mike Stoops: “”We have just been on the wrong end of 11 straight – is it 11 now? Wow. I didn’t realize that. Maybe this’ll be our lucky weekend.””

If not, a 12th straight loss of the coin toss tomorrow afternoon would be a 1-in-4,096 occurrence, according to Glasner.

The last time the Wildcats actually won a coin flip? Nov. 5, 2005, before Arizona’s 52-14 romp over then-No. 7 UCLA during last year’s Homecoming. The Wildcats elected to defer, and UCLA chose to receive.