“Hoops notes: Coaches, players react to tragedy in Tucson”

Players and coaches from both Arizona and Stanford said Sunday’s postponed game was the right thing to do. They also agreed that it was a game partially inspired in helping move past the shooting that killed six people and injured others in Tucson Saturday.

The Wildcats pulled out a 67-57 victory in McKale Center Sunday.

Here is some reaction from postgame interviews:

“”Try to help the city out as much as possible,”” UA forward Solomon Hill said of his mindset during the game. “”It’s still hard times. I really do think that. It would’ve been terrible to get a loss today.””

Arizona head coach Sean Miller said he had a short discussion with his team yesterday regarding the shooting.

“”We really just tried to paint the picture of reality, what happened,”” Miller said. “”Basketball was on the backburner. I thought we handled yesterday the best we could … and showed up today ready to play.””

Meanwhile, Stanford officials were happy to postpone the game and allowed Arizona to make the decision.

“”It was an easy decision,”” Stanford head coach Johnny Dawkins said. “” We could have postponed to the next day or whenever they wanted to reschedule it. You have to respect the process of what happened and the people involved.””

Arizona guard Kyle Fogg said the tragedy inspired him. The man he was guarding, Stanford guard Jeremy Green, agreed.

“”If anything, I think it made both teams want to get out there and played even harder given the tragedy,”” Green said. “”They are other things more important and bigger than basketball and you’ve got to handle that first.””

Positive signs

Coming into Sunday’s game against the Cardinal, the Wildcats have shot 50 percent while allowing opponents only 41 percent accuracy in three Pac-10 games. That trend continued with Arizona hitting on 49 percent of their shots to Stanford’s 42 percent.

Negative signs

Arizona has a 45:64 assist to turnover ratio in its first four conference games and a turnover rate of 16.3 per game. Opponents are even at 45:45. Combining their two point guards, which Miller focuses upon, gave Arizona a 7:3 ratio Sunday.