Arizona soccer: Hannah Stevens scores twice, Wildcats spoil Oregon State’s Senior Day

Alex McIntyre

The Arizona women’s soccer team celebrates after the first goal of its win against Oregon State at Murphey Field at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium on Oct. 25, 2015. The Wildcats spoiled the Beavers’ Senior Day on Sunday, Oct. 23, 2016, with a comfortable 3-0 victory. 

It was Senior Day for Oregon State on Sunday afternoon in Corvallis, Oregon, but it was an Arizona senior that left with plenty to celebrate.

UA senior defender Hannah Stevens scored twice, leading the Wildcats to a comfortable 3-0 win over the Beavers at Lorenz Field on a chilly day in the Pacific Northwest.

The victory improves Arizona’s record to 7-8-1 overall and 2-6 in the Pac-12 Conference, while Oregon State’s record dropped to 6-9-2 overall and 1-7 in Pac-12 play. Arizona lost to Oregon on Thursday and had been in the midst of a three-game losing streak.

“The team showed great character to bounce back and get the win,” Arizona head coach Tony Amato told Arizona Athletics. “We started the match well and that set the tone for 90 minutes. This was a long road trip and to score three and concede none shows the effort all the players put in today.”

Related: Wildcats receive award for classroom excellence

Stevens wasted no time giving the Wildcats the lead, as she found the back of the net in the fourth minute of the game.

Her score was the lone goal of the first half, but Arizona midfielder Gabi Stoian tacked on an insurance goal shortly after the second half began, weaving her way around a defender before firing a shot off the left post and in for the score. 

It was Stoian’s fifth goal of the season and gave Arizona a 2-0 lead in the 55th minute.

Stevens delivered again in the 72nd minute, heading in a flip-throw from Arizona midfielder Jade DeGracie-Bailey to make it a 3-0 game and put the nail in Oregon State’s proverbial coffin. 

Stevens now has five goals on the season, while DeGracie-Bailey—Arizona’s all-time assist leader—recorded her fifth assist of the year and 24th of her career.

Arizona outshot the Beavers 17-7, and held the Oregon State without its first shot until the 23rd minute. Wildcats goalkeeper Lainey Burdett had three saves and recorded her sixth shutout of the season.

Arizona returns to action Thursday when it hosts No. 3 Stanford. Kickoff at  Murphey Field at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium is scheduled for 7 p.m., and the match will be televised on Pac-12 Networks.

You can follow Ryan Kelapire on Twitter. For past Arizona women’s soccer coverage, click here.