Tame Impala jumps the shark on ‘Lonerism’

Press Photo
    Press Photo

Tame Impala’s psychedelic, ‘60s sound isn’t the only thing that may draw you into their music for the first time. If you haven’t heard of the band yet, now is the time to check out Impala’s new album, Lonerism, which dropped earlier last month.

The band could be compared to The Beatles, given its Woodstock-era pop sound, but they add a little something extra that gives their music a more modern feel.

Its debut album, Innerspeaker, came out in 2010 and Impala’s sound began to resonate across the U.S. During this time the band toured alongside MGMT, opening for them and christening people’s ears who hadn’t heard its sound yet. Those lucky enough to attend these shows got an earful of musical inspiration.

The band’s music sounds aged, almost as if the band members are using outdated recording instruments to make that “one too many times played” record sound. It almost makes you feel as if you’re in a dreamland or another dimension. This sound can be heard throughout all of Tame Impala’s songs, but it’s especially distinguishable in the song “Sun’s Coming Up.”

It begins with a piano solo, and light, echoing vocals enter the song as the bass stays strong with a spacey pattern, ending with fuzzy waves and sounds like someone handling the microphone then cutting out. It’s almost like someone picking the needle off a record player once the album has finished.

The band’s style resonates throughout this new album especially in the song, “Music to Walk Home By.” It can be compared to the song “Solitude Is Bliss” from the previous album, with a similar bass tune in the background, the same upbeat constant thump that backs up the song — but with a refreshing new feel to it.

The album is available on iTunes for $9.99, and feel free to check out their website, tameimpala.com for the band’s most recent updates about upcoming shows and new music.

Album rating: 5/5

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Rachel @RachelCabakoff.